Not exactly coin roll hunting, but........

Maryland Searcher 2

Feb 8, 2009
Baltimore County Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I bought a wheatie roll on online auction with the end showing a Lincoln "VDB" thinking I would take a chance on an S-VDB. No such luck, but....

I did get a really nice 1909-S in the middle of the roll and the original 1909 VDB from the end. Here are soem pics.
Let me know about the condition if you can because I have trouble grading coins.

Also, do you think it would be worth it to send to one of the grading companies? Just a thought.

Melt the snow and get some detecting done!!!
Good luck to all!!!

Attachments

• 1909S 004.JPG
    1909S 004.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 1909S 005.JPG
    1909S 005.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It looks like it has some corrosion although it's in nice shape. PCGS would probably not grade it due to environmental damage. PCGS is extremely picky from what I heard about slabbing coins. I heard they're extremely tough too on toned coins as well. Anyone here have experience with sending coins to be graded?

I wouldn't send it for that coin..

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
ANACS and NGC will grade problem coins. That discoloration may not hurt the grade unless there's some pitting.

I probably wouldn't grade it. I graded my 09 S VDB earlier this year and with shipping insurance and all, I spent nearly $50 total. I'd keep that one right where you have it.

Good find. I thought those eBay 'unsearched' rolls were all searched. Glad to see someone is finding some good coins in them.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
There's some corrosion, I know a trick that will definitely help! Take some Olive Oil and dip a Q-tip in it. Rub the Q-tip lightly on the coin and scrub the corrosion off. It's a great way for cleaning your copper coins, and it's not cleaning in the sense that it ruins the coin, it's perfectly safe. If the Q-tip doesn't work, pour some olive oil in a bowl, and leave the coin in there for a few days, even a week if you want, then flip it over and wait another few days or a week. That'll definitely clear it up!

XX

Jan 11, 2008
No offense OP, but you fell for one of the oldest tricks on eBay. Those people buy bulk wheat pennies, buy a nice vdb or 09S and put it on the end of the role, make up a good story about how they found the roll while digging through their dead grandma's sock drawer, then play dumb about what's in the roll.

Glad you were happy about what you got though.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
JasonB said:
ANACS and NGC will grade problem coins. That discoloration may not hurt the grade unless there's some pitting.

I probably wouldn't grade it. I graded my 09 S VDB earlier this year and with shipping insurance and all, I spent nearly $50 total. I'd keep that one right where you have it.

Good find. I thought those eBay 'unsearched' rolls were all searched. Glad to see someone is finding some good coins in them.

Will NGC grade problem coins? This is new. I didn't know that. I thought that they will bodybag problem coins while PCGS puts problem coins in a genuine holder. From what I knew, NCS (which is owned by NGC) slabs problem coins but doesn't grade them claiming them to be the best way to conserve problem coins. Only ANACS grades problem coins (too bad their new holders look ugly). Don't know if things have changed. Correct me if I'm wrong. Slabbing is simply not worth it unless you have a very high end coin or some amazingly monster rainbow toner (although very hard to pass). Sometimes they will reject a coin but slab upon resubmission. It's all just a way for them to make money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread