From the tellers...1 40% and 1st wild silver Washington

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
When I was stopping last week for nickels I noticed a bright shiny silver rim in a teller tray and asked her if I could buy the first coin in the tray. She kinda hesitated and I asked if she was already saving it. She said yes but that I could have it since I saw it from a good ways off and she had left it in plain view.

I told her thanks and traded an ugly gross clad quarter for her pretty 1964-D Washington. We got to talking and she told me she had pulled it from a machine roll. Trying to build a good repore with her I told her if she found it and wanted to keep I wouldn't be upset (knew very well she wouldn't take it back), but that she shouldn't be a tease and keep silver out for me to drool over. We had a good laugh and I made off with my first wild Washington.

Then earlier this week I stopped in at a bank where one of the tellers went to school with my mom. She keeps any funny money for me and looks out for newly released issues, like when the 2009 Lincoln cents were all the ebay rage. Went in and she had all their $2 bills and a...

1968-D 40% waiting for me.

Upvote 0

Holmes

Sep 7, 2009
Grand Rapids Michigan
Just a piece of advice mention the word silver in a bank is like pulling the fire alarm, my bank that i used every week for 26 years ( and i mentioned silver at ) no longer produces any silver..

HH

~Holmes~

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I never mention the S word. When a teller asks what I'm looking for I give a furtive look to my left and to my right. Then I ask the teller if she can keep a secret ? When she answers in the affirmative,which they always do. I whisper that I'm looking for two eyed Kennedy's, and those real old bicentennials made way back in 1976.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
M

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
As a general rule I don't mention silver to just any walk up teller. The ones that I have talked to about the S-word are regular ones I've known for awhile and they save silver for me.

The one with the quarter already knew what she had or I wouldn't have talked to her about it either.

Good hunting everyone.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I once spied a silver quarter in the middle of a tellers tray while she was getting ME all the halves in the vault. When she came back I asked if I could buy that silver quarter in her tray and she said "Where"? To this day I still wish I had said can I buy that white quarter- bet I would have got it then. Congrats, Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread