Still Here!

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Hey everyone! I haven't been posting much lately due to school and such. I've still been doing boxes, nothing to great though. I did manage to come up with SOME money to buy a new TV like I said in my last post. lol I was able to get a 32" Sony Bravia 1080p. Also since I'm on break this week, I got a job at my local coin dealer! And it looks like I'll keep the job every Saturday and even over the summer! It's great! I got a pile of boxes waiting for me when I get home tonight, so I'll be sure to post my results! These are from a new batch, so maybe my luck will change! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Can't beat that..I've always wanted to work for a dealer but no takers.. they're usually family operations and everyone's in their 50's. They seem to distrust young people so it's good that you got a job there.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
DAS7NY said:
Hey everyone! I haven't been posting much lately due to school and such. I've still been doing boxes, nothing to great though. I did manage to come up with SOME money to buy a new TV like I said in my last post. lol I was able to get a 32" Sony Bravia 1080p. Also since I'm on break this week, I got a job at my local coin dealer! And it looks like I'll keep the job every Saturday and even over the summer! It's great! I got a pile of boxes waiting for me when I get home tonight, so I'll be sure to post my results! These are from a new batch, so maybe my luck will change! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Congrats on the new job. There is nothing better than working in a place that is also a part of your hobby.
I have a pretty good TV myself. I picked it up on sale at Walmarts 3 years ago and it will never to break. Never break because it's been nearly two years since I turned it on. I quit watching TV and started using the library.
Good luck on the boxes !
Rich

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
SFBayArea said:
They seem to distrust young people so it's good that you got a job there.

They CANNOT believe someone my age has an interest, they all think I'm great! The owner started 2 other people off at my age, and they were both very successful, and he says I'm the next! lol This is great! All in one day, a coin was bought for $5, then discovered it was a $750 coin and someone came in with coins from a depression era cache. Working here is EXACTLY like working at the place on the show Pawn Stars. Everyone here would probably enjoy the show. It's on History Mondays at 10 Eastern. Also, it's not you're average joe coin shop. They're a full dealer! They have like 30 people working there, and they are one of the largest dealers on the East Coast! There's always people coming in and out of the shop! It's amazing to see what people bring in, and to see SO many different coins while doing inventory! I have some things to pay off first, but I have a feeling this year I will GREATLY expand my collection. ;D

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawn Stars sucks. Pawn shops suck. They're the robbin' hoods of today. Robbin' from the poor or uninformed and givin' to themselves. Not only do they underpay people for their items, many also gladly buy stolen goods from hardworking folks. You see all those tools...stolen from worksites and garages.

Y'all paid $5 for a $750 coin? I understand needing to make a profit, but give me a break. Just magically discovered later that it was worth much more than the $20 or so that was on the graysheet. Not much demand for those, blah, blah, blah...give ya 5 bucks for it. Good luck in your new career. I know Darth Walker wouldn't sleep well at night if he was tied up in that racket, and I wouldn't either.

Oh, and by the way, Sony sucks as well. Sony-BMG installed malware on my old laptop a while back, just because I wanted to play a CD that I legally bought on a computer that I legally bought. Google sony rootkit if you don't believe it.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Kantuckkeean said:
Pawn Stars sucks. Pawn shops suck. They're the robbin' hoods of today. Robbin' from the poor or uninformed and givin' to themselves. Not only do they underpay people for their items, many also gladly buy stolen goods from hardworking folks. You see all those tools...stolen from worksites and garages.

Y'all paid $5 for a $750 coin? I understand needing to make a profit, but give me a break. Just magically discovered later that it was worth much more than the $20 or so that was on the graysheet. Not much demand for those, blah, blah, blah...give ya 5 bucks for it. Good luck in your new career. I know Darth Walker wouldn't sleep well at night if he was tied up in that racket, and I wouldn't either.

Oh, and by the way, Sony sucks as well. Sony-BMG installed malware on my old laptop a while back, just because I wanted to play a CD that I legally bought on a computer that I legally bought. Google sony rootkit if you don't believe it.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Geez...give the kid a break...

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
It is all about lying, cheating, stealing

RIP Eddie Guerrero

good luck with the job and enjoy it, what shop? I shall come visit :wink:

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Kantuckkeean said:
Y'all paid $5 for a $750 coin? I understand needing to make a profit, but give me a break.

Well, it was bought in a lot of old halves, as scrap silver in bulk. So no one looked through them, they were ran through a machine. They didn't purposely do this, it's just whoever was up at the counter had no knowledge of this coin and just bought it as junk. NOW, there's a fine line between business and dishonesty. The job of a dealer is to make the largest profit he can. If someone comes in and just wants to sell it, and never asks what it's worth, you just make them an offer tho make them happy, and you make a profit. That's business. Well, if someone comes in and says "Be honest with me I know nothing about coins, how much is this worth," it would be morally wrong to tell them it was worthless. Like I said before, some people that work the counter are not FULLY educated, just for this reason that coins may be bought by mistake in favor of the dealer. I've never had a bad experience with Sony equipment. We had a 1992 Sony Triniton that we used as our main TV in the living room for 18 years. Worked fine until about last week, now the tube is going and it blinks... But I have NEVER had a problem with Sony!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread