How often to check for halves?

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
I am new to all this, and I'm not ordering multiple boxes yet like most of you. I just take whatever halves the banks have. They are usually hand rolls and seem to produce good to me. No huge scores like some I have seen on here, but I usually get a couple from each bank. My question is how often do you go to a bank to get halves? Once a week, month, year? Just did my first penny box this week because I couldn't find any halves and I only found 4 wheats. It took a long time to go through all those pennies. Several hours just for the one box. I don't know how people can do multiple boxes at a time.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
As you do more boxes of pennies the faster it will go. I go through a box of pennies in around 20-25 minutes. As for halves, I ask for them every time I go. You're very lucky you get them often, I usually get one or two CWR's every month or more :laughing9:

OP
OP
S

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
What is CWR? I have only been to these banks once. There are about 15 banks close to me. I was wondering when I should go back to the banks.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on your level of obsession. I used to visit every bank almost once a week, now I only visit my own branches once every 2 months or so, that is all I can stomach. Too much competition. ffd

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my metal detector to sort through the pennies. A whole box takes me about 45 minutes. A lot of the time is used getting the pennies out of the wrappers (especially when they are the plastic wrap kind). I'm not trying to set any speed records so I go at a leisurely pace. Not having to look at the actual date to know that it is copper really speeds things up considerably. I got 10 wheats in the box I did today. I'm averaging about 27% copper memorials which sounds to me like it is normal. I had some really nice customer wrapped rolls today that were closer to 40% copper.

For halves I'm in the same boat you are in. I hit the banks every now and then and ask for customer wrapped rolls. I've done about 10 rolls so far and I've only found 1 40% so far. I've been getting a couple of rolls every other week. I'm torn as to whether or not I should order some boxes. There are a lot of people here who talk about going through multiple boxes of skunks. And then there are others who appear to do very well with them. I really don't want to mess with having to dump them so I just get a few rolls at a time and then spend the junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread