New twist to coin hunting

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Today I decided to stop by one of my banks to dump some halves. It was a branch I had not dumped at for a long time because the machine they have always seemed to jam and it would take forever. Plus the teller who ran them would often be very cranky. Anyway, I noticed a few weeks ago when there for "legitimate purposes" the new vault teller is a person I know from one of my banks where I ordered halves. She is very nice and never complained about ordering boxes for me, etc. So I thought I would see if she had any better luck running the machine and I decided to take in a bag of halves.

The machine bag filled up real quick and soon later the machine jammed. I could see it was not gonna be a good situation so I told her to bag up my coins that were left (almost all of them) and I would take them to another branch tomorrow since her machine was just working right. She was thankful I offered to do that and I thought it would be a good time to ask her if I could buy the bag of halves she has just removed (since they were not my dumps very much). She of course said they cannot sell the bags, because the machine fills them with all other denominations of coins and it would be too hard to figure out the total. She said that the bag had not been changed on the machine since she had been working there, for a few months at least, so I thought it might have some goodies in it.

I asked her if under her supervision I could search through the full bag for a few minutes and she could replace what I removed with my own halves that didn't go thru the machine. SHE SAID NO PROBLEM. It was really hard to see inside the bag past the first 1/3 of it or so because the coins were still in the canvas, skinny bag and I could not dump them out. I was basically searching by sound, I would grab a handful and sort of drop them in the top of the bag and listen. If I heard the "clink" I would look thru that pile. Adding to the difficulty I was leaning over the counter having to stretch to reach them, while customers where coming in doing their business next to me.

One of the other tellers said to my nice teller "what is he doing?". Nice teller said, "I am letting him look thru the bag to see if there are any he wants". Other teller did not look too happy about that for some reason, but she didn't say anything else.

Anyway, I was only able to do this for a couple of minutes and I found 1-64 Kennedy and
4-40%ers. When I looked into the bag I saw a bunch of marked coins so someone had been dumping in there. I wish I could have dumped the bag into a big tub to look thru but that wasn't gonna happen. It was still fun going thru it though and for the few seconds after she said "no problem" to me looking my heart started pounding with excitement.

5 Keepers is better than most boxes I have had lately.

Jim

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
GMan00001 said:
Sorry to inform you that really isn't a new twist to coin hunting, I started searching bags like that a few years ago (maybe 3 or so) and posted about the concept a number of times back then.

I meant it was a new way for ME. I am sure that every way of CRHing has been done by somebody somewhere in the world before. I was not trying to claim a new discovery.

Jim

I wasn't trying to claim it as I am sure I wasn't the first either. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions