Foreign coins needed for a good cause (updated)

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my roll and bag hunting endeavors, as with most other folks, I find misc foreign coins. I take these and put them aside for a while. The MD group I belong to (Cowtown Treasure Hunters) sponsors a hunt for handicapped kids, in which they bury (very shallow) foreign coins for the kids to find. They use to bury silver until the kids took the coins and put them in the soda machine (expensive sodas). I donate all my foreign to the club. If you have any foreign coins just sitting around from your endeavors and would like to put them to good use for a good cause, please PM me.

For anyone who was curious about the hunt in Kerrville, below is a link to pics from 2009.

http://www.texascouncil.net/photos/kerrville_hunt_2009.htm

Upvote 0

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
Re: Foreign coins needed for a good cause

When is the event? I only have three foreign coins and I'll try to get some more before I send them.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To be honest I am not really sure. I ran into Ed Pavlicek (main point of contact at Cowtown Treasure Hunters club) today at the MD shop and I told him I would be bringing in some foreign coins at the next CTH meeting, and he said they were getting low and needed more for their next handicapped hunt. I did not really even think of asking him when it was. If all you have is 3 if you would just hold on to them for now and I will be posting this again in about a year when they look at starting to plan it again. Thanks for the reply.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went to a local coin show last month and picked up a bag of 500 foreign coins for $30. There were several dealers who had similar deals going so you might try that option for a cheap supply. Tell them what you need them for and they might make you an even better deal. I went through and sorted it all by country for my kids and there is way more than $30 worth of stuff there so you aren't losing money when you buy them at that price.

I'd give you some of mine but I have a similar gig going on next month so I need them. I'm volunteering to go into my kids' classrooms and talk about electricity and magnetism. I'm taking in about 10 detectors and all of the kids are going to get a chance to do some detecting out in the wood chips on the playground. I'm going to seed it with foreign coins so everyone hopefully ends up finding something. It should be a lot of fun. My kids are really looking forward to showing their friends how to find stuff with a metal detector. The teachers are also really excited about it because all of the classes are learning about electricity and magnetism in science class this year. They've already made electromagnets out of batteries, nails, and wire. So the principles of metal detection are right in line with what they have already learned. I also make my own PI detectors so I can open one up and show them what the parts look like inside. Actually, I don't know who is more excited, the kids or me. :wink:

Cheap foreign coins are actually pretty easy to find and buy. Check Craigslist and the local coin shows for good sources.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Wayne, I got them packed up and ready to drop in the Pony Express. I think there is some silver in a couple of these . Thanks for taking care of the kids, Jim

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great, appreciate the help.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! :icon_thumleft: True ambassadors of the hobby.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Wayne,
Great thing you are doing for these children. Can you post an address where to send the coins. I have some for you.
rileyboy

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still need coins. I have a few. Not much but just a few.

I do keep all Mexican and Canadian but I have some others (about 17).

How do I get them to you if you still need them.

Good think you do. it is a good cause.

After all I am not that Dark

PM Me

Cb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread