new to treasure hunting

T

texva

this might be a dumb question but i am new to this and just wondering how much are the 40% silver halves worth i know it changes but i am just wondeing about what they normally are worth and second is it hard to find someone to buy the 40 % halves for there silver value?

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about selling them for the silver, but this site has some good info and is easy to use (there are many, many more sites and books with coin values, etc.)...

http://www.coinfacts.com/

HH!
TBGO

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I may be wrong because I don't sell mine, but I think some people have said the 40% are worth 2X the face value, so I would say $1. But I am sure someone here knows.

Paul

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
40% silver halves have .1479 oz silver in them, which would be 7 halves =an ounce of silver. $3.50 face value vs. whatever the spot price is on any given day. Also figure if someone melts them they assume the cost of melting and refining, so maybe twice face value is not bad....

Someone on here recently sold a bunch and got $1.05 each for them, I think....

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
I am not sure about the 40%, but the 90% at my local place is going for $5.42 for every $1 in face value. While I was there an elderly gentleman came in and asked for some help bringing in some silver he wanted to sell. He was using a crutch, so I figured he couldn't handle it without fear of falling or dropping the coins. A rather strong looking guy in his 20's went to help him in. About 2 minutes later I see this poor guy carrying what must have been 50 POUNDS of the stuff in this huge box. He was afraid to put it on the counter! The man said he had been saving the coins since he was a kid, but since silver was high, he was ready to sell!!!
They are probably still looking through those coins for mis-strikes!!!

HH
vegasmtl

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I just sold 213--40% silver clad halves today to a coin store. I received $1.20 each,so that's why I dediced to sell them. I called about 6 different coin shops and this dealer was paying the most. I was quoted the following amounts from different shops: .70, .90, $1.00, $1.05 and $1.20.

I basically made a profit of $149.10 today which I didn't think was too shabby. I was very pleased. ;D

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good timing Pennyworth, since silver's taken another dive today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread