BINGO!...Silver Halves score w/pix

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Things have been a little thin these past few weeks, but decided to take a little cruise around the area. Great weather and a nice cigar, so I enjoyed stopping at some banks I fequent often. Most of the banks didn't have any halves, but managed $140 in customer rolled halves from one bank that turned out to be someones elses "dump". The last bank I stopped at sometimes produces well for me because it's surrounded by old neighborhoods. Anyway, the tellers all know me and said they had been holding onto some rolls of halves for about two weeks hoping I'd stop by. The one teller who had them said other people had stopped in looking for half dollars, but he told them he didn't have any because he knew they didn't have accounts with the bank and that I did. He also remembered the nice box of "Real" Italian baked cookies I brought them over Christmas. anyway, he had 7 rolls of halves that a customer brought in. Plus he said he had saved $7 in "silver ones" for me. I thanked him very much as I slid the nice looking "silver ones" in my pocket and walked out. As I walked back to my car I got the feeling that I had made a good score. I peeked into one of the rolls and I saw the beauty of silver. As it turned out, all the "silver ones" he saved loose for me were 1964 Kennedys (10 of which were stunningly beautiful BU/AU condition). The 7 rolls produced:
(8) 1965....(7) 1966.....(24) 1967....(15) 1968....and (4) 1969. Total: (14) 90%ers and (58) 40%ers.
Many of these coins are real keepers for the collection and will not see a melt down. I know this doesn't compare with all the great finds you guys have been posting, but it brought me out of a bad slump. Enjoy the photos while I go outside and have another fine cigar with a glass of red wine!
rileyboy

Attachments

• coins_001.jpg
    coins_001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 571
  • coins_002.jpg
    coins_002.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 575
  • coins_003.jpg
    coins_003.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 563
  • coins_004.jpg
    coins_004.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 574
  • coins_005.jpg
    coins_005.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 563
Upvote 0

atx_kt

Dec 24, 2009
Congratulations on your excellent find! :icon_thumright:

Question for you; what is gained by melting down coins?

'Many of these coins are real keepers for the collection and will not see a melt down.'

The refinery I use pays 90% of spot for silver, which is fine for scrap and broken jewerly.

US silver coins, however, can be sold at spot or even above spot without much difficulty.

That's been my experience anyway, I'd like to see what others say.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know if halves even make it to the smelter? I thought they just kept on trading hands. They sell at a premium, just doesn't make sense. ffd

OP
OP
R

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
atx_kt,
What I meant was, I'm keeping them for my collection rather than sell them. I think a lot of these silver coins wind up being melted down for their silver content. At least that's what I've always been led to believe.
rileyboy

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Hartford,
I think we found our winner. Good Hunting Rileyboy!

apush :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions