Does anyone search paper money?

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
Your question inspired me to go dig up some bills I stashed away 30 or 40 years ago. I found 1 silver certificate and 9 bills signed by Sec. of Treas. Joesph w Barr, who someone said all those years ago might be worth something someday because he was'nt Sec of Treas. to long. Computers were'nt around back then, but I just did a google search on him and it said

Secretary of the Treasury from December 21, 1968, to January 20, 1969, the shortest term of any Treasury Secretary. Because of this, US currency bearing his signature is said by some to be rare and hard to find. This is, for the most part, false.

In this case I guess (false) is probobly true, because it would be uncommon if I had something that was rare. There was one also listed as CU on ebay, assuming CU means crisp uncirculated @ $3.25

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I dop, havent found any silver certs yet but iv found a rare web note and some other interesting bills.

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA
I am pretty ignorant regarding bill values and availability....are current star notes worth keeping?...I noticed one recently but didn't do anything with it.

bwilly36

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, I do!

What I look for -

* $1 star notes - I try to get one from each Federal Reserve Bank, A thru L

* $1 web notes - have about a dozen but haven't found one in years. 1995s in general are showing up less and less in circulation. 93s and 88s are even tougher.

* any crazy serial #'s - radars (ex: B12344321L), repeaters (ex: B12341234L), very low #'s, six or more of the same number (I recently found my first seven! L78888888H 2003 $1).

* of course any silver certs., US Notes, or anything before 1970. Used to find more back in the 80s.

I had some older bills plucked from circulation that I sold on eBay a few years ago and I now regret it.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Web notes ($1 notes only) were made in 1988, 1993 and 1995 using an experimental type of printing ("web press") where the paper was fed into the printing press from one large roll rather than individual sheets. You can tell the difference by looking on the back. The check number that's normally in the lower right corner is instead above the E in ONE. If you find the lone star web note it's worth at least $100.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread