Cherrypickers abound!

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to set up a string of supply banks. Aside from the quizzical looks from almost all the tellers, I have noticed this: EVERY bank has someone in on the game. Usually a manager, but even the tellers ask me if I am looking for the silver ones, with that "ahhh I know what YOU'RE up to" tone in their voice, despite my devastating charm and (I thought) rock solid cover story of being a mere collector of coinage obscura. They have shown me silver they're filtered out. They have denied me the precious boxes I seek with a sneer or a snarl. One went so far as to tell me she had $6.50 in her drawer, which I eagerly took, only to watch her count them and check the dates so as to NOT give me anything worthwhile!!! >:( Now, I of course have to maintain my cover, as this MAY be a supply bank and I don't want to jeopardize the flow if they're willing to order boxes (so far I have found 2 supply banks that aren't asking me to be a customer. I may open $500. savings accounts at each to keep the relationship amicable) That said - we BOTH know why I am there, so even if we're going to maintain a civilized veneer, DON'T KICK ME IN THE NUTS BY CHERRYPICKING ME RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, KTHX? No offense, but you get paid to provide bank services, not skim money for yourself. If you do it when no one's around, fine - I would do exactly the same. But it's a bit insulting to do it on the counter in front of me on bank time.

/rant off

sry - just a bit frustrated - but my cycle of box orders begins tomorrow so I won't be so concerned with this - just wanted to vent something I'm sure you all feel the same about

Upvote 0

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

I have no problem with someone taking coins from a teller who doesn't know better or really doesn't care. If a teller says that they were hoping to keep them then I just smile and start up a conversation about them. Even if they then offer them I decline and tell them to keep them for themselves. But I wouldn't hold it against someone for taking them if they are offered.

It is not a black and white issue. And I understand that there are many tellers who are just as greedy as some of the CRH'ers out here tend to be. But if you honestly think that you have caused someone grief over your taking the silver they are saving for themselves then that is a sign that you have crossed the line. I realize that many people think it is a joke. But this is not an isolated incident out here. There are an awful lot of CRH'ers who are complaining to management, trying to get tellers fired, and declaring victory over obtaining silver from tellers that otherwise wouldn't want to part with it. And in those cases it sure seems to me that greed is the main cause of all of their strife. Not to mention the fact that it makes all of us look bad.

At the end of the day we all have to live with ourselves. It's funny though that so many of the people on the CRH'ing forum are quick to point out the flaws in our world today. How greedy the politicians and bankers on Wall Street have become. I don't disagree with it. But when CRH'ers exhibit the exact same characteristics in their everyday lives and when pursuing this hobby then it's hard not to raise the flag to point out their hypocrisy. :wink:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admit it, I am greedy and I dont have a problem with it. If you have a problem with it, well its your business.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
I admit it, I am greedy and I dont have a problem with it. If you have a problem with it, well its your business.

That's fine if you understand it and admit it. Just don't be surprised if some of us don't show much support if you ever decide to complain about greedy tellers, politicians, or bankers. :wink:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
AGCoinHunter said:

That's fine if you understand it and admit it. Just don't be surprised if some of us don't show much support if you ever decide to complain about greedy tellers, politicians, or bankers. :wink:

Early on I learned I wasn't going to get every silver I ran across. I am go out of my way to be respectable and courteous to every teller I meet. Do I get ticked when a teller cherrypicks, yes. Is there anything I can do about it, no. I am not out to get someone fired from their job because they wont hand over something I want. Now politicians are a different matter for a different discussion.... :)

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
Though this thread has been hijacked a bit, I want to share this - was browsing the older posts for intersting bits and I came across this - purely by coincidence, but so relevant:

I also sold 213 silver clad (40%) halves today to a coin shop, which paid $1.20 each.? I made a profit of $149.10 and was very pleased.? ? ?The coin dealer said to me you must be a bank teller, and I said no I'm not why do you say that?? He said that most people that have that many halves are tellers. lol? ?I felt like saying there must be some tellers that don't care about silver,lucky for all of us!? ?;)

this was posted Feb of 2006 - 4 years ago - the fact that this was the coin dealer's first thought is interesting in light of this discussion, isn't it? :coffee2:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry for the role that I have played in hijacking your post. I'm having a bad day at work (which is stemming from a greedy company) and I'm taking it out on some of the members here. :'(

Please forgive me.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I'm not greedy and was being a bit silly. Yes I did buy the 3 ikes. And the next day found another 30 at another bank. I took out some(none were silver) and dumped the rest with the older lady. As for the picking, they should get what they want and take it home at night. Not leave it in the tray for a week or so and expect no one to notice. That is being rude to me. Flaunting it.

1972buick455

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2010
Hello there. I'm on the east side (Aurora). Not a very serious CRH (yet). Did my first 2 boxes of Halves last weekend and found no silver at all. Not sure its worth it here! How have you been doing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread