Best and worst penny box Ive ever had.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best and worst penny box I've ever had.

I picked up a box of pennies today and was really getting psyched at how many coppers I was finding. I'm talking as many as 25 in some rolls. The final tally ended up being 847 coppers which is almost 34%. That's a new record for me. I usually end up with around 22% or so (550 per box).

Now for the bad part. Only two wheats. That's the lowest I've ever had and I usually get around 10 per box (my high is 14). It's weird that a box with almost 300 more copper pennies in it would have only one 7th the number of wheat pennies. Given my standard percentage of wheats I would have expected around 15 wheats. This should have been a record box for wheats but wasn't. :P

Another thing was that these pennies were sitting out on the counter with a note on them. So they were intended for someone else. The teller picked them up and said "You can have these. I'll go grab him another box later". So I took someone else's pennies. But she had plenty more from what I could tell (there were individual rolls laying all over the place). So to the CRH'er in Columbus, OH who had pennies and quarters waiting for him at a PNC bank on the west side, I took your copper! Hopefully the box she replaces them with will be even better! ;D

As a side note, three customer wrapped rolls of halves were skunks. They are almost always skunks at that bank. Oh well... at least pennies are never skunks. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
Re: Best and worst penny box I've ever had.

on a side note sounds more like those coins were for a "business" change order

but sounds good, nice copper, oldest wheat?

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

d2arcing said:
on a side note sounds more like those coins were for a "business" change order

but sounds good, nice copper, oldest wheat?

Oldest wheat was 1954. I never seem to find wheats older than about 1940. That very well could have been a business order. I'll never know for sure. She did have another box of quarters sitting there that was open and showing the clear wrapped rolls. I did a quick rim search and didn't see anything. :wink:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Worst cent box ever (for me): Not a single copper cent. I came on here ranting about what freak would take every copper out of a batch such that a box would be a total skunk, then realized that I'm that freak.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down said:
Worst cent box ever (for me): Not a single copper cent. I came on here ranting about what freak would take every copper out of a batch such that a box would be a total skunk, then realized that I'm that freak.

Well I always say that there are no skunks in cent boxes. But I guess if I got someone else's dumps that it could happen. I think it would be pretty hard to go through an entire box of cents and not find one copper. I'd probably quit half way once I realized what I had. That's why I'm happy to take my Brinks boxes that are wrapped in clear plastic rolls. That way I'm pretty sure I'm getting the standard assortment.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

mts said:
Diver_Down said:

Well I always say that there are no skunks in cent boxes. But I guess if I got someone else's dumps that it could happen. I think it would be pretty hard to go through an entire box of cents and not find one copper. I'd probably quit half way once I realized what I had. That's why I'm happy to take my Brinks boxes that are wrapped in clear plastic rolls. That way I'm pretty sure I'm getting the standard assortment.

My skunk box of cents was a Brinks box. I was amazed to think of the probability of not encountering a single copper.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down said:
mts said:
Diver_Down said:

My skunk box of cents was a Brinks box. I was amazed to think of the probability of not encountering a single copper.

That is truly amazing. I guess the moral of the story is to never say "never". :wink:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down said:

I am getting a lot of those lately. They are solid 2010 boxes. Picked up 2 in the last 2 days. Threw one on ebay to see if they will sell. So far no bids.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread