Should/can I increase my volume? Advice appreciated!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely would like to increase my volume. Currently I get 2 boxes a week from one bank and 2 every other week (such a tiny branch they only order coin every other week. Loomis truck doesn't even deliver. Branch manager has to go to the main branch in a neighboring town and pick them up herself) from the only bank in my TINY hometown. Even though my boxes run right at 67% likely to be a skunk, common sense tells me that more boxes searched = more silver in my pile. (Even an Arkie can figure that out! :tongue3: )

My problem is that there are only 3 banks here that have coin counters in which to dump. I currently split my dumps between 2 of them and I'm saving the 3rd for an "extreme emergency" - such as both my dump banks cutting me off at the same time. As kind of a test, I have hit both banks with as much as $1200 in dumps on a few occasions, and so far all is ok. Not a word was said.

I'd like to do 6-10 boxes a week - even more if I could but I know that amount would really be asking for trouble. If I overwhelm my dump banks and they cut me off, I can't do ANY. I'd much rather do my 2-4 boxes weekly as none. Should I just go for it? Should I talk to the manager at the dump banks? Do I just do my 2-4 boxes and be happy? How should I play this?

Thanks in advance,

Arkie

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
ArkieBassMan said:
I definitely would like to increase my volume. Currently I get 2 boxes a week from one bank and 2 every other week (such a tiny branch they only order coin every other week. Loomis truck doesn't even deliver. Branch manager has to go to the main branch in a neighboring town and pick them up herself) from the only bank in my TINY hometown. Even though my boxes run right at 67% likely to be a skunk, common sense tells me that more boxes searched = more silver in my pile. (Even an Arkie can figure that out! :tongue3: )

My problem is that there are only 3 banks here that have coin counters in which to dump. I currently split my dumps between 2 of them and I'm saving the 3rd for an "extreme emergency" - such as both my dump banks cutting me off at the same time. As kind of a test, I have hit both banks with as much as $1200 in dumps on a few occasions, and so far all is ok. Not a word was said.

I'd like to do 6-10 boxes a week - even more if I could but I know that amount would really be asking for trouble. If I overwhelm my dump banks and they cut me off, I can't do ANY. I'd much rather do my 2-4 boxes weekly as none. Should I just go for it? Should I talk to the manager at the dump banks? Do I just do my 2-4 boxes and be happy? How should I play this?

Thanks in advance,

Arkie
Sounds like you need to open more accounts, say in neighboring town to dump in and be able to spread them around so you do not wear your welcome out. I do 6 Boxes a week and the wife does 6 too from a Bank in Ark in fact, iti s a challenge to dump more so for her as she is in a very small town and has to go 25 Miles to dump every week- though she has to go to that town any way she just times her weekly trip to take care of other biz up there with her dump run. More Boxes can mean too more Skunks- I got 6 this week broke an 8 month run since last total skunkout.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes please turn it up ... I can barely hear you. :tongue3:

Willee

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
BuzzBait, You might want to go into your local dump bank and ask about fees. The reason I say this is with the new small bank regulations, most of the smaller banks are going to be scrambling for more money. Charging to dump coins is an easy remedy. Just a hint of what is happening here in my neck of the woods.
I am all for you increasing your take if it doesn't lead to more fees. Taut Lines, Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
coolpix9 said:
BuzzBait, You might want to go into your local dump bank and ask about fees. The reason I say this is with the new small bank regulations, most of the smaller banks are going to be scrambling for more money. Charging to dump coins is an easy remedy. Just a hint of what is happening here in my neck of the woods.
I am all for you increasing your take if it doesn't lead to more fees. Taut Lines, Jim
The key to avoiding fees is don't go to dump at the same Bank but maybe once every 4 or more weeks- that is what I do, yeah some look at me with disdain when show up but most it is not a big deal to them every few weeks. Of course this will only wok for a limited while I can see hard times coming and fees for everything- as said before I have no use whatsoever for a Bank other than CRH'ing.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
coolpix9 said:
The key to avoiding fees is don't go to dump at the same Bank but maybe once every 4 or more weeks- that is what I do, yeah some look at me with disdain when show up but most it is not a big deal to them every few weeks. Of course this will only wok for a limited while I can see hard times coming and fees for everything- as said before I have no use whatsoever for a Bank other than CRH'ing.

Not an option for me. I am already going to the neighboring town to dump. There are only 3 free coin counters in the whole town, and so far no hint of any upcoming fees, but there really is no way for me to spread my dumps around. The next town is 75 miles away which is just too far away to be an option. I am more or less forced to dump at the same banks week after week.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
ArkieBassMan said:
obediah said:
coolpix9 said:

Not an option for me. I am already going to the neighboring town to dump. There are only 3 free coin counters in the whole town, and so far no hint of any upcoming fees, but there really is no way for me to spread my dumps around. The next town is 75 miles away which is just too far away to be an option. I am more or less forced to dump at the same banks week after week.
Your in Brookland Ark aren't ya?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i would like to do more volume to but the finds here have been down and i am charged a fee to dump. if you do increase your volume rest assured that you will encounter problems dumping. my supply bank has never given me a problem. just for kicks and giggles i told the vault teller at my supply bank one week to order me 50 boxes for next week. without batting an eye she wrote it down. i quickly said i was only kidding but i would have liked to do 50 that next week but the dumping would have been a nightmare. i have already lost one dump bank and the other one is trying to get rid of me too. i don't have the option of several banks here. i live in a small rural area and only one bank has a counter.
i asked the manager of another bank about dumping last week and she flat out said no. said their vault space was too limited.
LJ often said the key to success is volume, volume, volume. it is just getting harder. maybe that is why she is not around anymore??????

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Arkie,
Volume is the way to go, there is no question about that. Dumping too much coin will lose you your dump banks,that factual as well.
Myself,I'd rather take some risks,order high,but not high enough to kill off my dump banks.
In your situation I would use all three banks to dump,and save the bank 75 miles away as the reserve bank.
I'd order the amount of boxes that you want to do,and think that the three banks could easily handle that amount of dumping.
It is only a matter of time before banks start charging fees for dumping and buying boxes,so you may as well go for it now,while it is free.
As for myself I won't pay money for money, and I won't pay for dumping. So when that time comes,I'm done, but will be content for the silver I recovered for free.
Good luck
Rich

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
i would like to do more volume to but the finds here have been down and i am charged a fee to dump. if you do increase your volume rest assured that you will encounter problems dumping. my supply bank has never given me a problem. just for kicks and giggles i told the vault teller at my supply bank one week to order me 50 boxes for next week. without batting an eye she wrote it down. i quickly said i was only kidding but i would have liked to do 50 that next week but the dumping would have been a nightmare. i have already lost one dump bank and the other one is trying to get rid of me too. i don't have the option of several banks here. i live in a small rural area and only one bank has a counter.
i asked the manager of another bank about dumping last week and she flat out said no. said their vault space was too limited.
LJ often said the key to success is volume, volume, volume. it is just getting harder. maybe that is why she is not around anymore??????

Have you ever checked if you could bring the coins back to the armored service directly? If you are already paying a fee at the bank, perhaps they would have the same fee schedule and you could save the dump bank hassle... Just a thought...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Go ahead and do the volume and stockpile the dumps in your garage. Once a month, make a trip outside of your home turf and dump. Next month, go in a different direction to dump. By stockpiling, you will have a better chance of getting deeper into the pallet. Better yet, take your dumps outside your courier's district (not your Fed district as it just isn't feasible in the mid-west).

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmmm.... well, the more you search the less I am likely to find... So search less.
But seriously, if you have the money to up the search, I would do so. I search as much as I can afford to do, that's your best bet to find more.

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
I am not familiar with the area, but if the problem is only 3 banks have coin machines, maybe re-wrap some of your boxes & return to another bank that does not have a machine...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread