So what is the best way?

rwb83

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy!!!
To go about asking these smaller banks if you can purchase hand rolled / loose halves when you are not a member??? I even feel a little hinkey when I ask my own bank...I don't know why...I just do. But, anyway I've seen some VERY nice results from some of these roadtrips for coins and I would like to do the same. Any bit of information on how to go about asking as well as any other info on how to have a successful roadtrip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
CHAINCHOMP said:
i would just ask for rolls of coins brought in by customers if they dont understand the "customer wrapped roll" theory, so be sure to specify rolls brought in by bank customers alreay rolled in the flat wrappers or what ever. on the loose coins, just ask for anyy halves they or the other tellers might have that are loose in thier drawer, they do though get a little confused on the CWR theorty sometimes.
Hey, even I get confused on the CWR theorty.

nicholaswb

May 6, 2009
I ran into this on a road trip with a CU... too bad I'm too young to pull the "tooth fairy" excuse! :)

I was on a road trip for the weekend, and I had printed up phone numbers for every bank in town that I could find, and I called all of them on the way. One CU had $185 and assumed on the phone that I was "just curious as to how many they had." I showed up and got the shaft, ended up getting only about $40 worth from other banks in town.

The kicker of the trip was the first bank I called, a small regional bank. After asking for halves, the older-sounding woman on the phone said "Oh, you can't get those anymore. They don't make them. We have no way to get them and we don't have any." I would have asked her to check with other tellers, but she was pushy and insistent that she was right. I still can't believe some people. This woman works in a bank, and doesn't know about our coinage!

HH and enjoy,
Nick

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
nicholaswb said:
The kicker of the trip was the first bank I called, a small regional bank. After asking for halves, the older-sounding woman on the phone said "Oh, you can't get those anymore. They don't make them. We have no way to get them and we don't have any." I would have asked her to check with other tellers, but she was pushy and insistent that she was right.
HH and enjoy,
Nick

I think many banks are getting lots of calls for halves lately and the tellers are getting tired of it. I have had a few in the recent past cut me off before I can finish the sentence as soon as they hear "half dollars"---they say NO! we don't have any right now.

One teller who wasn't too cranky told me that they get calls every day for halves and up till 6 months or so ago they rarely got requests for them.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread