Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1959 D Wheat Penny up for auction

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    May 2006
    Florida
    Minelab Excalibur 1000
    274
    2 times

    1959 D Wheat Penny up for auction

    http://www.goldbergcoins.com/current...n/index2.shtml

    Goldberg Auction May 31st Lot 817 is a unique 1959D Wheat cent. was last auctioned back in 2003 for $48,300.00. Although the Secret Service says it is authentic, no grading companies will touch it. On page 47 of Goldbergs catalog

  2. #2

    Jan 2009
    1,065
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: 1959 D Wheat Penny up for auction

    The owners of this mule-cent obtained a court order that will go against dealers
    trying to discredit the coin. Since the Secret Service said it is authentic then it is authentic no matter
    that PCGS and NGC deny grade.


    In my opinion PCGS and NGC are overgraded and it is just business.

    The most expensive coin ever the 1933 Double Eagle that sold for $7MM is not even graded.

    DW
    2012 Finds
    Kenns40%   5
    Kenns90%   0
    Benns         0
    Walkers       0

  3. #3
    us
    Mar 2010
    Colorado Springs CO.
    Bounty Hunter QS
    4,377
    1 times

    Re: 1959 D Wheat Penny up for auction

    dang, wouldnt it be cool to find one of those in a roll from the bank?
    CHAINCHOMP

  4. #4
    us
    Nov 2013
    O'Neill NE
    8
    Cache Hunting
    Hello this is an old post but I just found a 1959 D Wheat Penny it is in very bad condition thoe

  5. #5
    us
    Aug 2012
    New England
    1,769
    470 times
    Coin Roll Hunting!
    Quote Originally Posted by EzraBK View Post
    Hello this is an old post but I just found a 1959 D Wheat Penny it is in very bad condition thoe
    Congratulations! Pictures would be great! I check very 1959 I see

    HH
    Wicka

  6. #6
    Charter Member

    Feb 2013
    1,575
    918 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by EzraBK View Post
    Hello this is an old post but I just found a 1959 D Wheat Penny it is in very bad condition thoe
    1 down, 1,279,759,999 to go til you've found them all!

  7. #7
    us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    2,428
    1714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe777Cool View Post
    1 down, 1,279,759,999 to go til you've found them all!
    Really ? That many that were accidently minted in 1959 with the wheat ear reverse rather than the Lincoln Memorial ? I had no idea.... <------ this is my sarcastic smartass face.. Still waiting for the newbie with 1 post to put up some pictures of the one he found. I'll play.. Look what I found today !
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by NHBandit; Nov 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Live Free or Die

  8. #8
    us
    Nov 2013
    O'Neill NE
    8
    Cache Hunting
    Heres the pics and it is very hard to see its 1959 but I have looked with a magnifying glass and also compared it to other 1959 memorial cents, it is a 1959 D Wheat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG 
Views:	470 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	907226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	907228
    Last edited by EzraBK; Nov 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM.

  9. #9
    us
    Aug 2012
    New England
    1,769
    470 times
    Coin Roll Hunting!
    So smudged, id say 1953 or 8.
    Wicka

  10. #10
    us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    2,428
    1714 times
    Do any of the resident coin experts have any knowlege of just how many of these might exist ? I started collecting coins in the 60s and I have never heard of this error.
    Live Free or Die

  11. #11
    us
    Nov 2013
    O'Neill NE
    8
    Cache Hunting
    Nah not a 3 or 8 if any other number its a 0 but under magnification it seems very likely that it is a 9 but I am taking it to a coin expert in my town to see for sure
    And Bandit no one is sure how many of these exist only a couple have ever been appraised and verified and the secret service took some as well but that's just a rumor thoe but I wouldn't doubt it

  12. #12
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,337
    762 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EzraBK View Post
    Heres the pics and it is very hard to see its 1959 but I have looked with a magnifying glass and also compared it to other 1959 memorial cents, it is a 1959 D Wheat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG 
Views:	470 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	907226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	907228

    Congratulations on a unique find. You do realize that with all the surface alterations/imperfections that no-one can be reasonably sure with a high degree of confidence. Without the confidence, no buyer will want to have such a questionable specimen. I'm not 100% certain what you have found is the real deal, but I have no reason to question your claim.

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

    Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    47,098
    6024 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    the story on the Mule cent

    The Mystery of the 1959-D Mule Lincoln Cent
    EzraBK likes this.

  14. #14
    us
    Nov 2013
    O'Neill NE
    8
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    Congratulations on a unique find. You do realize that with all the surface alterations/imperfections that no-one can be reasonably sure with a high degree of confidence. Without the confidence, no buyer will want to have such a questionable specimen. I'm not 100% certain what you have found is the real deal, but I have no reason to question your claim.
    Ya I realize that but im still happy on this find especially since im very new to CRH only started 2 weeks ago but already found 3 silver halfs about 78 wheaties and about 5 bucks in copper cents, and whats a good way of cleaning coins without harming them, would boiling work?

  15. #15
    Charter Member

    Feb 2013
    1,575
    918 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
    Really ? That many that were accidently minted in 1959 with the wheat ear reverse rather than the Lincoln Memorial ? I had no idea.... <------ this is my sarcastic smartass face.. Still waiting for the newbie with 1 post to put up some pictures of the one he found. I'll play.. Look what I found today !
    =) probably should have read the post a bit more carefully before jumping into complete sarcasm mode!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1959 d penny

,
1959 d penny error
,
1959 d penny errors
,

1959 d wheat penny

,

1959 penny

,
1959 penny d
,
1959 penny error
,

1959 wheat penny

,

1959 wheat penny value

,
roll of 1959 d pennies
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3