1st CRH Experience

Jomama

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I picked up my first few rolls for CRH at lunch today. They only had 2 rolls of half’s so I also picked up 8 rolls of quarters.

The 2 rolls for half’s yielded 2 -1967’s and 2 -1968’s.

Anything I should be looking for besides pre 1971’s other than non-Kennedy’s and “S” mintmarks and proof coins? How exactly can I determine a proof coin other than the detail of the coin itself… any special markings?

Also, I read that the bicentennial’s (1976 Halves) are a dime a dozen and there is no need to keep them… is this true? I had a whole roll (minus 1) that were all 1976’s.

I read on here that some were getting more than their value out of them on eBay.

I have gone through 2 rolls of quarters and have not found anything pre 1965. Anything for me to look at here beside pre 1965 and rotated state quarters?

I found a couple offset quarters (photos attached)… are they of any value?

Just getting started in the hobby after I bough my metal detector and doing this when I can’s physically go hunting. Any help is greatly appreciated on all coins as I am sure I will end up buying some of every roll.

I read the “Beginner’s Guide to CRH” on this forum and would love more detail… just want to be sure I don’t put the next $1,000 coin back in the roll!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2007 offset.jpg
    2007 offset.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 1985 offset.jpg
    1985 offset.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
You are off to a great start. Welcome to our addiction. Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
1976 bicentennials are a dime a dozen but they also made 40% silver S mints in the same year. You can throw those back all you want. :wink:

Golden Silver

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Jomama,
Welcome to the "sport" of CRHing. As to your questions. Keep an eye out for 1974-D Kennedy half obverse double die. It can be seen in the word "Trust". Usually it's the u and the s. 1987-P/D as they are key dates for the Kennedy set. Also 1970 Kennedy as it is 40% silver and was only in mint sets. The photos of the quarters show common offsets that occur in almost all coins, so they aren't worth anything. If the rim goes totally off the edge then you have something. Good luck.
rileyboy

OP
OP
Jomama

Jomama

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
fistfulladirt said:
Keep every 1975 that you find, I think they will be going up in value. ffd

Serious? Doing research no Halves were made in 1975...

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Yeah there were but they were stamped 1976. LOL :laughing7: You must forgive a little bit of coin roll hunter humor.

Golden Silver

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
1. any half dated 2002-date, they are not intended for circulation.
2. look on the back of the half dollars right next to the eagles talon, there should be the engravers initials next to it, but rarely some halves dont have it, so keep an eye out.
3. all "S" mint mark coins are proofs, so if it is made at the san fran. mint, its a proof. (some older coins were "S" mint but not proofs, but all halves & quarters you should be safe saving all "S" mint, cuz they r proofs.)
4. look out for wisconsin lower leaf errored state quarters, if u need more info PM me, or google it.
5. any really nice rainbow toned coins.
6. also, it is true, the 1976 halves or quarters arent worth keeping, but if someone would buy 'em on ebay, the halves would probably sell for 52 cents, and the quarters 28 cents, so its not worth the trouble.
7. some people save gold plated coins, some dont, but they are not worth more than face value, just cool/different.
8. and, look out for trick/magicians coins. they will sound very different than other coins, you'll know when u get one.
9. some advice, only rim search dimes, but pull all shiny rims to check for 2009 dime too, cuz they are a low mintage.
10. also, 2009 nickels are a low mintage too.
hope this helps, -CHAINCHOMP
(P.S. those quarters in the pic. are normal, not worth more than face value.)

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Next time you are in a bookstore check out Yeoman's Red book. Or look over the entire line of coin books available. Congrats on the 4 40%ers and Welcome aboard.

OP
OP
Jomama

Jomama

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
dave5710 said:
Next time you are in a bookstore check out Yeoman's Red book. Or look over the entire line of coin books available. Congrats on the 4 40%ers and Welcome aboard.

What is the difference between the Red Book and the Blue Book?

Thanks.

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
The red book has values, the blue book has more realistic prices that dealers might pay for your coins. Sometimes dealers will pay at blue book price and sell at red book price. Then they've made a profit.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Jomama said:
fistfulladirt said:
Keep every 1975 that you find, I think they will be going up in value. ffd

Serious? Doing research no Halves were made in 1975...
Hi Jo-M, just messing with ya, Jim4silver was right. Welcome, and kudos on the research!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread