Got my fix today..........

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I had the day off so I could go to the dentist this morning. My wife had an appointment 2 hours after I did, she asked me if I wanted to go with her (why do women ask these things?) So I agreed to go along. As soon as I found myself sitting alone in the waiting room, I remembered that there was a credit union right around the corner. Well, needless to say, I started tweeking for a silver fix. I walked over and bought the only 4 rolls of halves they had...........scored 6 40% Kennedy's.............wife never even knew I was gone.

Paul

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver! How many of you have found so far this year and how much have you searched?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She just wondered why you were jingling as you walked! Great story Paul!

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I could always tell her that I brought them in case the dentist needed some material for fillings!

Brian........I can't even imagine how many rolls of halves I have searched. I quit counting the 40% finds a while ago. There is one of those canvas bank bags that is starting to get full in my safe ;D Then there are the full rolls of walkers ;D, and the mercury roll ;D. I have saved tons of pre-1960 nickels ( I have a feeling these will really be on the rise soon) Way too many to count wheaties.

as for silver quarters.............Well, it's really not fair for me to post on them, and here is why....................I have an extremely unfair advantage over most people when it comes to quarters. I work for a property management company out of Seattle. I am the Maintenance supervisor for all of Eastern Washington, and once a month I go around and collect the quarters from the laundry machines. No big deal right? Well, there are 147 apartment complexes on my side of the state , with the smallest being 35 units, and the largest 250 units. Now add in that I own most of the Pepsi/coke machines at these properties ...........all of this amounts to a whole lot of quarters. I have a good pick up system down, and can empty them all in 5 days or less. I do find a good amount of silver. I'm sure I miss a few here & there, but that's OK. Surprisingly, about 90% of the silver comes from the laundry machines. I have only ever found 1 silver 1964 quarter from roll searching........they just aren't there. I think the reason for this is that a lot of the newer vending machines won't accept them, and I think this draws attention to them. Anyways, this is why I never post much about quarters.

Paul

PS,
I'll bet Chase bank would just love me as a customer. On a slow month we will get $6000-$8000 in quarters alone. Can't you just imagine the look on your favorite tellers face if I had you take them in :D :D :D :D...........priceless!!!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not fair??? Post 'em all Paul!

You have the dream coin searching job Paul. Do you want an assistant? :D We'd all love to hear what you find in laundry machines. Considering the coins you go thru on your regular job it's amazing you include roll searching too!

So many questions...

What's the oldest? Ever find any obsolete quarters? Where in the world do you deposit $6K-$8K in quarters every month without a hassle? What's an average silver take per week?

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well, the silver take really varies. I can go months without seeing any, then I will see a bunch. I once found almost $10 face in one machine (someone was in dads stash!). There really is no pattern, I have just learned to watch for them. Some of the properties are very close to the Canadian border, so Canadian coins can sometimes be common. They still get my heart beating because my first thought is "Silver!!" I have found some silver Canadians. I have never found any obsolete quarters. but I do get an occasional Merc, or Buffalo in the soda machines. As for Banks, I never have a problem with them. We use a local bank near every property. If you do the math on the 250 unit complex, this is what you get..........250 units @ $645 per unit ( I am using the lowest rent amount....some are $750) you get $161,250 minimum in monthly deposits (assuming your at 100% occupancy & everyone paid) . With deposits like that, they give you no BS. The only bank problem I have had was recently at my personal bank , and I put a stop to that right away (this was a different branch of the same bank I used in the above example).Now that they are aware that I am married to the person who decides which bank is going to be used, they are quite friendly to say the least. Normally what I do is drop off the quarters from each property at that properties bank, and they send them out to be counted and then deposited. There are a few properties that are in small towns with no banks, so those quarters get hauled to the next property because that's usually where their bank is located anyways. So, to answer your question, they do not all go to one bank. Sometimes I will have just too much stuff scheduled, and I will skip trips to the banks, and just collect quarters, this is when I end up with a massive load of quarters. I try to avoid this whenever possible because it just creates more work for me in the end. I hope all of this made sense.
My wife is surprised that I have started roll searching too. What can I say? I am a coin junkie!! As you can imagine, I NEVER search quarters. I tried a little at first, but quickly realized that it was a waste of my time, and honestly, I get sick of looking at them. I do dimes, nickels & pennies with my kids on the weekends ( they love it, and I love the time with them) My real addiction is with the halves........quick, easy, and a good payout......what more could you ask for? I can't wait to go back up to Canada on vacation (Banff and Edmonton) in the fall, and do some roll searching there. I am really not into buying coins , I just think that finding them in rolls, or digging them up gives them much more meaning.

Paul

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the insight Paul! I can relate to the coin junkie way of life.

You mentioned Banff and it got me thinking. Can you MD in a national park there? Are Canada's laws different than ours?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions