Does anyone search...

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Does anyone search the clear plastic wrappers? Are they worth getting boxes of? I tried a box of cents and only got 9 wheat's and I thought that was a little on the slow side because I seem to do better with handrolled. I was thinking of hitting of some dimes in the clear wrappers and just rim search but I am sure the tellers crack the boxes and do the same thing. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would love to hear about them. Thanks! HH, SE

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I only search the clear condoms of dimes. They have always been good to me.

Image034.jpg

OP
OP
silvereagle78

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Diver_Down said:

Wow! That is amazing and not what I expected. I will have to give them a try. I guess if they are skunks they would be easy to dump because you could keep them rolled. I just figured someone else in the process of them coming to me wouuld have thought of the same thing. :laughing7:

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
Diver_Down said:

Image034.jpg

Diverdown, where do you buy tubes for dimes like that? I've been looking for some to store my silver dimes.

On a relative note, silvereagle78, all the boxes I get in my area (Bay Area) are plastic. I usually do dimes but I used to do cents. I averaged 8-11 wheats per box. Sometimes I'd hit a terrible box with only 4-5 wheats.

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
Rakattack said:
Diver_Down said:

Image034.jpg

Diverdown, where do you buy tubes for dimes like that? I've been looking for some to store my silver dimes.

On a relative note, silvereagle78, all the boxes I get in my area (Bay Area) are plastic. I usually do dimes but I used to do cents. I averaged 8-11 wheats per box. Sometimes I'd hit a terrible box with only 4-5 wheats.
Yeah, those look twice as long as the ones i've seen.
Hey, i see a barber in that pic!! Is there more than the one thats showing? Either way, you've got quite the stash!! :icon_thumleft:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've searched the clear plastic rolls of dimes. Only find a few silver dimes here and there. I've had much better luck with customer rolls.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The tubes are glass cigar tubes that can be found at yard sales and the like. I got mine from my grandfather. The tubes lying horizontal (not the ones showing Barber) are all Mercs. The others (vertical tubes) are Rosies. The Barber isn't the only one in the tube. It has about 20 Barbers and the rest Mercs. The photo is an old one as I've easily doubled this stash in the past couple of years. I've been working on a filling a lead crystal whiskey decanter with silver dimes. I like to keep my vices together. All of the ones in the cigar box have been found at face value.

OP
OP
silvereagle78

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Rakattack said:

Thats interesting because that is where I am at (Bay area). Hopefully I won't be stealing your boxes :laughing7: I decided to do a little CRH while on vacation and have never seen these kind of wrappers before.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Silvereagle,
That is a good question. I have the crazy feeling that silver is pulled from the clear wraps (probably not, just my quirk). I have purchased 3 dime boxes in the last month and only pulled one silver. It was at the end of the roll so it could have been easy to miss. Going to keep buying dimes, but will purchase at my other bank that uses the String and Sons paper wrap.

Just my two cents,

apush :read2:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I've said in the past, don't make too much out of nothing. The only way they would have no silver is if ALL of them are being searched. Everyone keeps thinking of the world as a place where everyone searches for silver. If that were the case, we wouldn't be finding silver.... period! Just like thinking there are less wheaties in the clear wrappers. How does one tell the coin in the middle of the roll is a wheatback? Don't make everything so hard. Just like gold, silver is where you find it. You search coins, sometimes you find silver, sometimes not. No magic formula. Just have fun doing the search!
HH
Gilbert

OP
OP
silvereagle78

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
enamel7 said:
As I've said in the past, don't make too much out of nothing. The only way they would have no silver is if ALL of them are being searched. Everyone keeps thinking of the world as a place where everyone searches for silver. If that were the case, we wouldn't be finding silver.... period! Just like thinking there are less wheaties in the clear wrappers. How does one tell the coin in the middle of the roll is a wheatback? Don't make everything so hard. Just like gold, silver is where you find it. You search coins, sometimes you find silver, sometimes not. No magic formula. Just have fun doing the search!
HH
Gilbert

I should have not used the wheats as an example, I understand you can't tell the difference if there is a wheat or not. ;D I was just wondering about the silver factor and how easy it is to just rim search a roll without opening it. I just wonder what others think (successful or unsuccessful) before I spend the time in an area I am unfamiliar with trying to dump a bunch of boxes. Sorry for any misunderstanding about my intentions. HH, SE

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
silvereagle78 said:
Rakattack said:

Thats interesting because that is where I am at (Bay area). Hopefully I won't be stealing your boxes :laughing7: I decided to do a little CRH while on vacation and have never seen these kind of wrappers before.
Do you live in the Bay Area or are you here on vacation? Either way, I'm in San Jose.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Just make sure to get sealed boxes. If they are opened, I assume they are searched. The yield for silver dimes is always low per box (1-2 is the norm; last week there were 5 in a box). The key is persistence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread