Question on Halves

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay folks, I'm totally hooked on this roll searching thingie...

Redbook states some 71D and 77D Kennedys were produced in 40% --- can anyone tell me how to easily determine if any of these several dozen I set aside are silver or not?

I spazzed on the '76 bi-cens... relooked 'em, but no SF MM.

Thanks -

Robin

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way I've always used is the sound they make. Compare your 71s & 77s to a known 40% on a hard surface (table, countertop, etc.) and listen for silver's distinct "ring."

BTW, it's possible of course but very unlikely you'll find one of the 71 or 77 accidental silvers. They're extremely rare. But you never know...

OP
OP
CaptainRobin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Immy....

Believe it or not, that's exactly what I've been doing. I have a six-place solid oak antique-type table which came out of the library of an old all-girls school... (only 5 chairs, though). It's pretty solid...

I've been dropping the 40%ers and the suspects on it. There's definitely a different "ring" to the coins' of different composition.

I also closely look at the toning, reed edge, color of the clad, and just "sense" it somehow. Silver clad "looks" different than regular clad. I turn the coins on-edge when I open the roll and scan it, and am about 95% right when I fish out a 40%er. A whole lot of the coins are immediately rejected based only on appearance. Some just have to be dropped and are immediately disqualified due to difference in ring-tone. No luck yet, but I check 'em all if they fall into the date/mm catagory.

Today's $200 yielded 5 40% Kennedy's... and a roll of uncirculated 89Ps, which I really don't think is worth keeping... whatch'yall think? It wasn't a mint roll, a bank roll, bag marks and such, a few pieces toning/discolored, fingerprints on some.

But I'm hooked....... and this same bank has another $600+ in the vault. I told 'em I'd be back....

Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread