$25 box of cents

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
My main coin bank only had quarters or dimes today, so I bought a bag of quarters, and stopped at a second bank and asked if i could buy a bag of cents or nickels. They had boxes of both, so I got one of each. I opened the box of cents hoping to see a Wheat back and I saw 20, and an Indian. The other side had 16.
So far I have only opened two rolls. The first one had 47 Wheats and a 1906 IH, the second one had 40 Wheats. Five rolls have wheat backs on both ends. The box was taped shut. It is stamped July 2008. It was a String and Son box, and the wrappers are "SealStrong". I took a couple of pictures, but I can't get them small enough to post.

I'm not sure what I want to do next.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dave5710

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Here is what I ended up with.
1563 wheats including 10 steel cents
8 Indian heads 5 08's 1 07 2 06's
9 Canadian 5 with George, 4 with Elizabeth, oldest was a 40.
920 Memorials and newer

The 2009 cents means the date on the box is meaningless. I tried to call the bank this afternoon, but since the lobby is closed on thursday afternoon, I was given to the voice mail, and since the head teller, didn't have an extention, I wasn't able to speak to her. I believe these cents were rolled at this bank and that there are at least two more partial boxes.

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 259
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 260

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Beautiful Dream Box. Congratulations. I'd nominate for a banner, but I'm against the additional attention to the hobby. Hope you understand. Be there tomorrow with donuts and bagels when they open, and demand every single cent in the place.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Holy sweet copper batman! now that is one nice box of pennies sir, yes indeed back you go with some goodies for the ladies! HH.

Chuck.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
dave5710 said:
Here is what I ended up with.
1563 wheats including 10 steel cents
8 Indian heads 5 08's 1 07 2 06's
9 Canadian 5 with George, 4 with Elizabeth, oldest was a 40.
920 Memorials and newer

The 2009 cents means the date on the box is meaningless. I tried to call the bank this afternoon, but since the lobby is closed on thursday afternoon, I was given to the voice mail, and since the head teller, didn't have an extention, I wasn't able to speak to her. I believe these cents were rolled at this bank and that there are at least two more partial boxes.

That's a year's worth of wheats and a DECADE'S worth of Indians! I get an IH about every 550,000 cents so far. Which obviously takes me a while to search, even with the Ryedale! To get 8 in a box? I'd bring them in more than just donuts, and YES ask for all the rest of the cents they have! :-)

Great find. AWESOME find.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Thats once in a lifetime. Someone cleaned out grandma's collection with that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread