sold some silver this weekend

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
not much, just enough to pay some debts. i checked around and was surprised at whats going on out there. most places i called either did not want the 40%ers or they wanted to look at them first :icon_scratch: most places would only buy 90%ers and would only pay 8x face. found a guy around the corner from my old house and he was paying 9xface for the 90%s but only 2x face for the 40%ers :icon_scratch: whats the deal around here, seems like noone wants the 40%ers and aren't paying much for them when they do buy them?

Upvote 0

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
Local coin dealer ad.in newspaper.Silver dollars-$10 and up Halves-$5.50,quarters-$2.75,dimes-$1.10,65-69 kennedy halves-$1.25.This outfit told me they gave half of face for all canadian coins regardless.There is a disclaimer at the bottom mentions market fluctuation price subject to change.Believe me they will haggle down.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Don't sell to someone who is reselling they underbid by wide margins, compare Ampex or another like it they will pay alot more of course you have to sell in volume with them; there will always be the local scavengers who feed on those who are willing to sell way below Spot based fair prices. I've done good on Ebay minus the fees still got in last batch sold in 12/09 net 2.32 (yeah know the fees have went up), since have sold once thru the Forum and netted about same, and was happy with it.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mistergee said:
not much, just enough to pay some debts. i checked around and was surprised at whats going on out there. most places i called either did not want the 40%ers or they wanted to look at them first :icon_scratch: most places would only buy 90%ers and would only pay 8x face. found a guy around the corner from my old house and he was paying 9xface for the 90%s but only 2x face for the 40%ers :icon_scratch: whats the deal around here, seems like noone wants the 40%ers and aren't paying much for them when they do buy them?
Mistergee,
Bunch of cheapskates here too. I haggle with them,call them politically incorrect names, mixed in with a string of obscenities. They yell back at me at me. It's all for entertainment value.I do alright. Sometimes I'll tell them to give me a good price on the silver and I'll buy some gold and let them gyp me a bit. They always take the 40's but rip me off a bit. Of course they don't know that I get them at face.
HH
Rich

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Mistergee, Do ebay. I just sold two lots of 6 rolls 40%ers for over $320. Still did very well after shipping and fees.

golden silver

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
At that price try the internet or save it up and go to a big town coin show. The coin shows have a large number of dealers in one place. Spend a half hour asking each about their prices. Hell if you lived close enough to me i will give a better price then that.

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
thanks for the replies guys....i thought the 9x face for the 90%ers was a fair price but the 2x face for the 40%ers was an insult. i know i could do better on ebay but i'm just too lazy and it seems like a hassle for a few bucks more. now if i had a ton of these it would be worth it. since its only like 10 rolls i'm gonna hold onto them till i find a better price.

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Quicksilver, i forgot about the shows, but you can be sure that the next one that comes to town i'll be sure to check out what thier paying :thumbsup:

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
its true nobody likes the 40%ers...I have been paying $2.10 each from fellow hunters lately and have found people willing to sell at that price. I think you can get closer to $2.40-$2.45 each at the shows though. Depends what your time is worth, if your neighbor makes a lowball offer today or you can mail your coin into Apmex and get more money, but money weeks later (and minus fees...)which deal is actually superior? the seller makes that determination.

rsmith1737

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2010
Georgetown, IN
If I may jump in for a minute, after reading post about 40% coins, what years are 40%. I have a lot of silver coins and several pre 1970, just trying to determine which ones are 40% silver thanks Rick

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
rsmith1737 said:
If I may jump in for a minute, after reading post about 40% coins, what years are 40%. I have a lot of silver coins and several pre 1970, just trying to determine which ones are 40% silver thanks Rick

1965-70 half dollars
HH
Rich

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Mistergee, If you list them on ebay for a low starting price of .99 cents free shipping, insurance and delivery confirmation you will sell them for at least 4X face. You let me know that you listed them and I will bid on them.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread