Quarter Question

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joined a new bank today that will let me dump any amount I want with no fee's.... :hello2: and no limit per day.... :hello2: :hello2:

I told the CSR/Teller that I am a coin collector and search for coins that I need to fill my albums, also told them that my dad has several thousand half's that he had accumulated in his lifetime and I didn't feel like rolling them either. They said no
problem. Well to make a long story short, one week after setting up my accounts savings/checking I get a voice mail. It was
the teller from that bank and she wanted me to call her. I am thinking oh crap, they are going to cut me off right away.... :o,
well I returned the call. The teller said that an older gentlemen had just come in and turned in over 600.00 in quarters all still wrapped by the US Mint, she knew I collected coins and would I be interested. I told her I would come down today after work and see what was there. My question is this: There are certain years that error coins were produced in the state quarter series, can anybody tell me which years it they are?

Now I am also hoping that maybe, just maybe, they are all 1964 quarters and prior and he didn't know what he had.... :laughing7: But then, that is just a dream.. :laughing9:

Any help would be appreciated...

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly doubtful they are silver. Probably someboby who started a collection of state quarters and then quit when they found out that the mint is now doing "America the Beautiful"

Worse case scenerio you got some nice uncirculated quarters.

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5710 said:
Kansas and Wisconsin are the biggies. Hope they are from the 50's or early 60's though.

So do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'd kinda like to know about those quarters myself

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Getting back on the quarter subject.......

If they are U.S. Mint wrappers there could be a market for them if the rolls are in good shape.

Might be able to sell them in pairs, years or the whole lot on eBay.

Mojo

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
The Wisconsin quarter came out in 2004 and has an extra leaf on the corn stalk above the cheese wheel. The Kansas quarter came out in 2005 and the bison has a hump on his hump, sort of. You can probably find pictures of both on ebay. I heard that the Wis. error quarter was released to Arizona and W. Texas. Don't know how true that is. I don't think she would of called you over State quarters or Bicenntenials for that matter. I hope not.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
coinmojo said:

If they are U.S. Mint wrappers ther could be a market for them if the rolls are in good shape.

Mojo
Just be sure & figure in your %12 fee.

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
coinmojo said:

If they are U.S. Mint wrappers ther could be a market for them if the rolls are in good shape.

Mojo

If they are indeed silver they are getting locked up. If they are the complete set of quarters in the original rolls I think I am going to snag them.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
FreedomUIC said:
obediah said:
coinmojo said:

Mojo

If they are indeed silver they are getting locked up. If they are the complete set of quarters in the original rolls I think I am going to snag them.

Just pick them all up. If there are errors, then you can cherry pick. You don't have to worry about selling on eBay. Plenty of coin dealers will pay for the mint rolled state quarters. Certain states such as Georgia command a nice premium. At a minimum, the lowest I've seen rolls of state quarters fetching are $11.25. Not a large premium for the common issues, but enough to make it worth your while. If you end up getting a complete set of P&D's, then run to your nearest Barnes and Noble and pick up some state quarter albums. Fill them up and consign them at a local auctioneer. Locals will pay moon money for common everyday coins. I sell some of my dumps (halves) this way. Fill up an album with clad and watch it fetch money for me. People will pay.

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
FreedomUIC said:
obediah said:
coinmojo said:

Mojo

Just pick them all up. If there are errors, then you can cherry pick. You don't have to worry about selling on eBay. Plenty of coin dealers will pay for the mint rolled state quarters. Certain states such as Georgia command a nice premium. At a minimum, the lowest I've seen rolls of state quarters fetching are $11.25. Not a large premium for the common issues, but enough to make it worth your while. If you end up getting a complete set of P&D's, then run to your nearest Barnes and Noble and pick up some state quarter albums. Fill them up and consign them at a local auctioneer. Locals will pay moon money for common everyday coins. I sell some of my dumps (halves) this way. Fill up an album with clad and watch it fetch money for me. People will pay.

I already have the complete state set including all the territories(sp) in BU condition from both mints in a very nice US Mint album.....

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong as usual. I came to this thread because I wanted to know about the QUARTERS myself. I WAS looking forward to coming to this thread periodically to see if any new info had been posted because I like to look for error coins.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
FreedomUIC said:
Joined a new bank today that will let me dump any amount I want with no fee's.... :hello2: and no limit per day.... :hello2: :hello2:

I told the CSR/Teller that I am a coin collector and search for coins that I need to fill my albums, also told them that my dad has several thousand half's that he had accumulated in his lifetime and I didn't feel like rolling them either. They said no
problem. Well to make a long story short, one week after setting up my accounts savings/checking I get a voice mail. It was
the teller from that bank and she wanted me to call her. I am thinking oh crap, they are going to cut me off right away.... :o,
well I returned the call. The teller said that an older gentlemen had just come in and turned in over 600.00 in quarters all still wrapped by the US Mint, she knew I collected coins and would I be interested. I told her I would come down today after work and see what was there. My question is this: There are certain years that error coins were produced in the state quarter series, can anybody tell me which years it they are?

Now I am also hoping that maybe, just maybe, they are all 1964 quarters and prior and he didn't know what he had.... :laughing7: But then, that is just a dream.. :laughing9:

Any help would be appreciated...
Good luck with the quarters !
HH
Rich

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Quarters? What were we talking about?I smell a poof coming! ;D Oh yea back to the topic - buy every roll of them and don't worry about the silly stuff - :headbang:

Maine_Jim

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
dave5710 said:
The Wisconsin quarter came out in 2004 and has an extra leaf on the corn stalk above the cheese wheel. The Kansas quarter came out in 2005 and the bison has a hump on his hump, sort of. You can probably find pictures of both on ebay. I heard that the Wis. error quarter was released to Arizona and W. Texas. Don't know how true that is. I don't think she would of called you over State quarters or Bicenntenials for that matter. I hope not.

The WIsconsin quarter has two variations. A high leaf and a low leaf. They are on the D mint mark quarters. Kansas has a grease mark across the T in trust, making it look like "In God We Rust". Theya are on the P mint quarter. Those are the two I am familiar with. I have one of the high leaf errors, and one of the Rust quarters. Both found this year from CRH. :-)

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to snag one roll of Wisc and one of Kansas. The TN and GA just were not there.
I will wait and open them on a rainy day.... :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread