ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago I had some rolls of halves that I had acquired bank hopping to dump. I counted 19 rolls, so I added 10 new gold dollars that I had to make it an even $200. I get to the bank and tell the teller I want to trade for a box of nickels and $100 in dimes. She counts it (I'm not really paying attention) and says I have $210. I told her that I thought it was only $200. She tells me that I must have made a mistake and brings me a box of nickels and $110 in dimes.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm in the same bank dumping 22 rolls of halves. The same teller takes my halves, but says she really hates these things as she has a hard time getting rid of them. She goes on to say that a few weeks ago someone brought some in and she overpaid them by $10. I knew instantly that it was me (maybe she did as well, I dunno). I told her so and insisted that she keep the $10 that she overpaid me a few weeks ago. She thanked me about 20 times before I could get out of there.

Hopefully my good deed rewards me somewhere down the line. I certainly need it, as I just don't seem to be very lucky. We shall see. At any rate, it was the right thing to do.

Upvote 0

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Just because u did that. Ur going to hit the silver jackpot! Let us know when u have to get the wheelbarrow out to move all of ur silver!

-bigJ

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
ArkieBassMan said:
A few weeks ago I had some rolls of halves that I had acquired bank hopping to dump. I counted 19 rolls, so I added 10 new gold dollars that I had to make it an even $200. I get to the bank and tell the teller I want to trade for a box of nickels and $100 in dimes. She counts it (I'm not really paying attention) and says I have $210. I told her that I thought it was only $200. She tells me that I must have made a mistake and brings me a box of nickels and $110 in dimes.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm in the same bank dumping 22 rolls of halves. The same teller takes my halves, but says she really hates these things as she has a hard time getting rid of them. She goes on to say that a few weeks ago someone brought some in and she overpaid them by $10. I knew instantly that it was me (maybe she did as well, I dunno). I told her so and insisted that she keep the $10 that she overpaid me a few weeks ago. She thanked me about 20 times before I could get out of there.

Hopefully my good deed rewards me somewhere down the line. I certainly need it, as I just don't seem to be very lucky. We shall see. At any rate, it was the right thing to do.

Your good deed has ALREADY rewarded you. With loyalty from that teller, and the knowledge that you did the right thing. :-)

Good job. You get my two thumbs up. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
very nice. if nothing, at least you got a teller that will happily take your coin for other other coin, now find out her schedule and you can do a lot of searching happily without any stupid comments :icon_thumright:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
good luck!
a few weeks ago a banks counter over-counted me 172 dollars, so i told them and they were very thankful, since then the followng has happened:
i found $20 on the ground (i think it was even the next day)
one box of nickels contained 2 1955's (key date)
a box of halves produced 21 40's 1 90. (my new record...i know its sad, but it beats my other record of 4) :laughing9:
and i have been consistantly pulling silver w/ little effort (like 5x the amount :tongue3:)
and this is all w/in a week or 2 since it happened!

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing..I hope you hit big :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I don't know why I volunteer this obvious question, but here goes. I'm sure I'll be blasted for bringing up the obvious but I guess that means that I'm the only one with the courage to address some of these issues on this forum these days.

ArkieBassMan said:

So you knew very well that you only gave her $200 and let her give you $210 back?

ArkieBassMan said:

So here we are, now confronted by the person that we "accidentally" took advantage of and insist on repaying the $10. Well Guilt is a good thing. It has ways of keeping us honest.

ArkieBassMan said:

Yes good deeds will be rewarded. And yes it was the right thing to do. But don't you think the right thing to do was to correct the error when it occurred in the first place? After all as you mentioned you knew you had 19 rolls and actually used 10 dollar coins to bring it to $200 no mistaking that is there.

Not really apples to apples, But don't you just hate it when the criminals are remorseful after they are caught?

Only we can controll our behavior so if your feeling better about what transpired than good for you hope you sleep better at night.
I'm just not ready to jump on the pat your back bandwagon for doing something to correct something that you could have been avoided in the first place.
It certainly was good for you to have cleared this up because biting the hand that feeds you is never good.

By the way most CRH's don't buy and dump at the same bank. Think there some kind of rule on that as well.

OK I've had my fun. Lets see if this stirs it up a little..... lol

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with Mojo on this. If Arkie knew he was ripping off the teller by $10 the entire time and didn't "fess up" until the teller brought it up first, it is really not much of a
"good deed", in that maybe Arkie only admitted it because he thought the teller really knew it was him and was being "tested", etc.

I am not here to judge anyone though. Everyone has done things in their past one way or the other. But Mojo is correct in that someone trying to say they did a good deed by admitting a wrong much after the fact after the teller brings it up first is really not that much of a good deed.

I would say instead Arkie man went from being in negative karma to even karma, instead of to good karma. ;D

One caveat to this is if Arkie tried to correct the teller at the time it happened and she insisted she was right. In that instance it is not up to the person in Arkie's position to make a scene in correcting the mistaken teller.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with Mojo on this. If Arkie knew he was ripping off the teller by $10 the entire time and didn't "fess up" until the teller brought it up first, it is really not much of a
"good deed", in that maybe Arkie only admitted it because he thought the teller really knew it was him and was being "tested", etc.

I am not here to judge anyone though. Everyone has done things in their past one way or the other. But Mojo is correct in that someone trying to say they did a good deed by admitting a wrong much after the fact after the teller brings it up first is really not that much of a good deed.

I would say instead Arkie man went from being in negative karma to even karma, instead of to good karma. ;D

One caveat to this is if Arkie tried to correct the teller at the time it happened and she insisted she was right. In that instance it is not up to the person in Arkie's position to make a scene in correcting the mistaken teller.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

coinmojo said:
I don't know why I volunteer this obvious question, but here goes. I'm sure I'll be blasted for bringing up the obvious but I guess that means that I'm the only one with the courage to address some of these issues on this forum these days.

So you knew very well that you only gave her $200 and let her give you $210 back?

So here we are, now confronted by the person that we "accidentally" took advantage of and insist on repaying the $10. Well Guilt is a good thing. It has ways of keeping us honest.

Yes good deeds will be rewarded. And yes it was the right thing to do. But don't you think the right thing to do was to correct the error when it occurred in the first place? After all as you mentioned you knew you had 19 rolls and actually used 10 dollar coins to bring it to $200 no mistaking that is there.

Not really apples to apples, But don't you just hate it when the criminals are remorseful after they are caught?

Only we can controll our behavior so if your feeling better about what transpired than good for you hope you sleep better at night.
I'm just not ready to jump on the pat your back bandwagon for doing something to correct something that you could have been avoided in the first place.
It certainly was good for you to have cleared this up because biting the hand that feeds you is never good.

By the way most CRH's don't buy and dump at the same bank. Think there some kind of rule on that as well.

Mojo

You are both "kind of" right. I see both of your points, and I even agree somewhat. Maybe my "good deed" wasn't a good deed at all. Maybe I just made good on a "bad deed" that I had done earlier. Anyway, here is what happened, and I would be very curious to know EXACTLY how everyone else would handle it:

Three times a week for nearly 3 months now, I have been taking my elderly grandmother in for physical therapy for a broken wrist. 1 hour and 25 minutes from the time we get there (almost like clockwork), she's finished and ready to go. So 3 times a week I have 85 minutes to go do whatever. If I have no errands that I need to run, I do a little CRHing and/or dumping. This day obviously was gonna be a dump day and all the cold-calling that time would allow. Before I left the house, I put my searched handrolls into a Crown Royal bag. I counted 19 rolls, but I only counted once. As stated in the original post, I grabbed 10 Presidential dollars to make an even $200 with the plans to swap for a box of nickels and $100 in handrolled dimes. I get to the bank, dump the rolls on the counter as well as the gold dollars and tell her that I would like to swap for the aforementioned nickels and dimes. She counts it, and as I stated, I wasn't really paying attention as she counted. I'm thinking about what banks I can hit on the way back to the rehab place to pick up Granny. The teller informs me that I have $210, not $200. I plainly state that I thought I only had $200. She tells me that I must have miscounted. I assume she is right. So, I just say give me $110 in dimes instead of $100.

What should I have done? Should I have insisted she count them again in front of me? If was 100% positive she was wrong, I would have. I honestly just assumed that I miscounted. On my return visit when she mentioned that she hated half dollars and that she had overpaid $10 to someone awhile back, I knew instantly that she had miscounted on my previous trip, not I, and I rectified the situation immediately.

So maybe Karma "doesn't owe me one." Maybe I am just "square with the house again" - not that I really believe in Karma in the first place. For the record, I do want it known that I didn't intentionally walk out of there with $10 that wasn't mine. I did immediately give it back when it became obvious that it did indeed happen.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:

Mojo

I enjoy your posts Mojo. I admire the fact that you are more than willing to "stir it up a little." I do enjoy a good discussion as well as hearing others' opinions on a variety of things. Hopefully in the process I'll learn a thing or two. With that said, I don't believe that I blatantly violated the don't-buy-where-you-dump "rule." There are exceptions to most (if not all) rules, and I believe this is one of them. Apparently you disagree. So I assume that if you had just dumped a load of halves at your dump bank and saw a few silver halves in the teller's tray, you wouldn't buy them as that would violate the "rule". Correct?

As a whole, I agree with the rule. However, in my opinion I don't think trading $200 in halves for $200 in dimes and nickels is a big deal. Maybe, if it happened frequently and/or if it was a large sum of money, but not the very occasional swap of a small amount. Dimes and nickels are as common to banks as $20 bills. I don't see where I was any more of a burden to the bank by accepting dimes and nickels as payment instead of paper money.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Arkie I would have done the same thing, just surmised that I had miscounted on my way out the door, has happened before that I've miscounted. Glad you had a chance to give back the $10

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
ArkieBassMan said:
I don't believe that I blatantly violated the don't-buy-where-you-dump "rule." There are exceptions to most (if not all) rules, and I believe this is one of them. Apparently you disagree. So I assume that if you had just dumped a load of halves at your dump bank and saw a few silver halves in the teller's tray, you wouldn't buy them as that would violate the "rule". Correct?

As a whole, I agree with the rule. However, in my opinion I don't think trading $200 in halves for $200 in dimes and nickels is a big deal. Maybe, if it happened frequently and/or if it was a large sum of money, but not the very occasional swap of a small amount. Dimes and nickels are as common to banks as $20 bills. I don't see where I was any more of a burden to the bank by accepting dimes and nickels as payment instead of paper money.

I try to help when I can Based on my experience doing this for 4 years pretty heavy and reading this forum almost nightly for the last 2 years.

You can flip that rule "don't-buy-where-you-dump" around. It's "don't dump where you buy". I will buy from whomever will sell to me.

The rule is just a rule of thumb. Most banks won't tolerate a person that buys large amounts of coins and returns them and repeats that process. They have to do all the work here, order and take shipment hold your coins for you and then ship them back out. Just bad business. Banks provide this service to retail clients as a way of gaining their business. they are not there for our pleasure. They do not make money off of CRH's

Fortunately for me I buy coins from every bank and credit union in town and have a single source dump bank with several branches in my area. That bank has the coin counter that does not charge a fee if you have and maintain an account there. So I dump only there and really I have bought boxes of the new pennies from them lots of times because I would ask if they got any, everytime I'm there. But I don't order coins from them. Tried to but got resistance. Now I have been dumping at this bank and several of their branches for the last 4 years and they all know who I am. And "I am" a burden to them. But I'm always respectful and maintain a good relationship with them. after 4 years they know me and my family and I break in the new tellers... lol.

I consider this situation to be good for me and feel fortunate to have it. I would prefer to have the situation where I bag up the coin and drop it off but haven't been able to establish it. If I had to roll up my coin I would stop doing this or cut back 90%

On a recent dump. All the branch managers were having some kind of meeting in the fishbowl conference room that's open to the lobby and the coin counter. I was a little embarrassed as It's like having all your secret girlfriends in the same room talking to each other. And your trying to be invisible because surly if one notices you then you'll have a lot of explaining to do.

With the amount of coins I do I visit a minimum of 3 of these branches every week and some weeks as many as 6 branches depending on my volume that week. I carry in and dump only as much coin as I can carry in with my 2 hands which is about 100 lbs. in halves that means $2k (4 boxes) or 2 $1000 bags of Halves, Dimes or Quarters and or about $800 in Nickles.

So yes after running my coins through the machine and walking up to the counter to collect my cash at my dump bank. I have a chit chat with the tellers catch up on what everyone did last weekend and talk about the weather and then I ask if anyone has any Halves big dollars or new Pennies or Quarters.
After all I am the "coin guy" I would be remiss if I Didn't ask.

Mojo

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I don't see where I was any more of a burden to the bank by accepting dimes and nickels as payment instead of paper money.
i'm sure you have an agreement with this bank as far as accepting coin ......however she did say this:

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm in the same bank dumping 22 rolls of halves. The same teller takes my halves, but says she really hates these things as she has a hard time getting rid of them.
this is one reason the rule was created about dumping where you buy. all tellers hate the halves. you dumping them on her is an inconvenience especially if she is going to be stuck with counting them for awhile. eventually your gonna be the straw that broke the camels back and she may refuse to accept anything from you in the future.
btw....i don't think you did anything wrong.....just a misunderstanding. i don't think any Karma is involved here except the good deed you are doing for grandma :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread