Just missed by 2 days

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Have not been having much luck in and around my home town so a few weeks ago took a short 40 mile road trip to the surrounding towns stopping at every bank and credit unions searching for half dollars. Now about every 2 weeks I make the loop. Today stopped in one of the distant banks and asked for 50 cent pieces. The young teller said, oh you probably should have been here 2 days ago as we just sent $500.00 worth of funny looking old half dollar coins back to the people that pick up and deliver our money. She said they had a old 'bird' on them. I said like a Eagle? yea like that. Seems a lady in towns mother died and they found them in her stuff and turned them in for the money. I made a sad face and said if she returns, please do not send them back as I will be here in two weeks again. She said she would put them aside if anymore come in. Ya just never know, but maybe next time I'll get lucky.

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and that is how we get our silvers right out of a brinks box, right next to a bunch of marked coins. :icon_thumright:

If I were you I would try to find out the armored carrier's name. Hit up other banks in your area and that bank. See if you can order boxes from them if they use that carrier. Its a long shot but you could hit paydirt. Not a lot of people in SoAZ those coins could be re-rolled by now and be waiting in a vault to be ordered.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
cyberdan said:
and that is how we get our silvers right out of a brinks box, right next to a bunch of marked coins. :icon_thumright:

If I were you I would try to find out the armored carrier's name. Hit up other banks in your area and that bank. See if you can order boxes from them if they use that carrier. Its a long shot but you could hit paydirt. Not a lot of people in SoAZ those coins could be re-rolled by now and be waiting in a vault to be ordered.

Agreed... Someone in in for a dream box real soon.

Being Ariz. you probobly don't have many carriers in your area.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
THAT IS WHAT I WOULD DO AND ORDER AS MANY BOX AS YOU CAN UNTILE YOU FIND THEM,, record the dates off all the boxes. they may sit until the operator has enough the fire up the half roller.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
CHAINCHOMP said:
what do u mean by eagles...dont kennedies have eagles on the back too??? so its not definately walkers, could have been kenns.

LOL.. I think the Barbers had Eagles on the backs too. But we can rule out Franklins.....

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chainchomp,
Walkers have eagles on the back, just different from the kens. Did you mean not franklins??

OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
This made me think why not, I will return on Monday and see if they will order me a few boxes. Might just get lucky and get those coins back.

cyberdan said:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Weight,
Go back or call the bank to find out what company they sent them to. Then call the company and see if you can buy some boxes from them directly. Doesn't hurt to try.
rileyboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread