small hunt yesterday

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
decided to hit a nearby string of banks during lunch yesterday. first stop had 2 rolls. pulled one 1967 out of each roll. not a bad start. next bank the teller i'm talking to has none but the teller next to her says she has one but i have to wait while she is tending to another customer at the drivethru. so i wait....and wait...she's pretty slow. finally she comes back to me and says "okay, you wanted that one half dollar" i hand her a $5 and she says "do you have an account here?" i said no. she looks around and says "we have to keep our change on hand for our customers" i'm thinking "are you kidding me?...for one half dollar?" i said thanks anyway and as i turned she says "would you like to open an account? we have free checking" i almost turned around and choked her. why would i want to open an account at an a$$#&%^ bank that won't sell one half dollar. i bit my tongue, said "no thank you" and walked out.
next couple banks had none but the very last one had $120. this bank always has a box on hand and i found out why. the teller says to me. "are you looking for silver?" i said "i'm a coin collector trying to fill up sets. but since most of the ones i need are the older ones, and they are silver, i guess you could say yes i am." she says "oh i only asked because there used to be an old man who came in every week and got $1000 to search for silver but he hasn't been around in a long time" i usually don't find anything in thier roles but i always check anyway. this was no exception....all skunk rolls. oh well coulda been worse i guess.

Upvote 0

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are tipping the tellers off that some coins are worth more than others. buy all they have, search them in the car, and dump them somewhere else.

This was a quote that you responded to on one of my postings. You violated the number 1 rule by telling the teller that you are
indeed in search of silver coin. ::) The scolding I got from everybody should be coming your way shortly, put on your lead lined underwear real fast.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mistergee said:
decided to hit a nearby string of banks during lunch yesterday. first stop had 2 rolls. pulled one 1967 out of each roll. not a bad start. next bank the teller i'm talking to has none but the teller next to her says she has one but i have to wait while she is tending to another customer at the drivethru. so i wait....and wait...she's pretty slow. finally she comes back to me and says "okay, you wanted that one half dollar" i hand her a $5 and she says "do you have an account here?" i said no. she looks around and says "we have to keep our change on hand for our customers" i'm thinking "are you kidding me?...for one half dollar?" i said thanks anyway and as i turned she says "would you like to open an account? we have free checking" i almost turned around and choked her. why would i want to open an account at an a$$#&%^ bank that won't sell one half dollar. i bit my tongue, said "no thank you" and walked out.
next couple banks had none but the very last one had $120. this bank always has a box on hand and i found out why. the teller says to me. "are you looking for silver?" i said "i'm a coin collector trying to fill up sets. but since most of the ones i need are the older ones, and they are silver, i guess you could say yes i am." she says "oh i only asked because there used to be an old man who came in every week and got $1000 to search for silver but he hasn't been around in a long time" i usually don't find anything in thier roles but i always check anyway. this was no exception....all skunk rolls. oh well coulda been worse i guess.

The cackling "Do you have an account here?" You are giving me flashbacks of last years road trips.
After a couple of slips where I forgot to bite my tongue, :dontknow: my road trips came to an end.
HH
Rich

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Why not have an account at major banks so you can always feel welcomed to ask. Of course, I'd only do that if it was free.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
SFBayArea said:
Why not have an account at major banks so you can always feel welcomed to ask. Of course, I'd only do that if it was free.

I do. The tellers ask anyway. When they ask if you have an account,it really means they are not interested in looking for you.
HH
Rich

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
SFBayArea said:

I do. The tellers ask anyway. When they ask if you have an account,it really means they are not interested in looking for you.
HH
Rich

I have had to open up four seperate accounts around here that represent the big three and then my credit union account. That way
I don't feel bad if they ask "Are you a member" and I can most assurdly say "Yes, would you like my account number"......

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have accounts in several banks already. this particular bank has never asked me for an account in the past. i never saw this teller before so maybe she was new or from another branch. i could have cared less that she asked but for one lousy fifty cent piece? do you really need to save that for your customers? its technically not even a circulated coin. most people don't want them.

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
you are tipping the tellers off that some coins are worth more than others. buy all they have, search them in the car, and dump them somewhere else.

This was a quote that you responded to on one of my postings. You violated the number 1 rule by telling the teller that you are
indeed in search of silver coin. The scolding I got from everybody should be coming your way shortly, put on your lead lined underwear real fast.

when she asked me if i was searching for silver , i told her i collect coins. however, since most of the harder ones to find are the older ones she was technically right. besides she already knew anyway when the old dude tipped her off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread