pennies- recent reports

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Well so I got $30 of pennies today, and about $10 worth of them were hand rolled and musta been brought in by a customer... They turned out to be about 70% coppers, and 2% whaheats, with very little "waste" pennies. This has been my best string of luck so far, because as I can tell, bank wrapped penny roll boxes may contain some 10% copper, and the numbers are going down. I havn't been doing this much but am going to make an effort now to ask to buy rollls that customers brought in... Doing it this way, you run the risk of getting someone elses stripped rolls, but, in my area, I've yet to find a roll that some other hunter has always picked.

The purpose of this thread is to get ideas of what your bank rolled boxes of pennies are like, numbers wise. I live in the south east USA, around atlanta to be exact... The boxes here are from brinks, n.f string and son, and dunbar.... These companies are also starting to ship out boxes with 100% 2010 uncirculated, so if you're into to error searching, keep an eye out. For the most part it's a lot of work to bust bank boxes and I'd prefer customer rolled anyways, even if they are short a few cents.

Penny hunters! What's the two cents?

Upvote 0

changedman

Greenie
Jul 6, 2010
I have gone through a box of pennies per week for the last few months. This is mostly because my luck has been HORRIBLE lately with halves and dimes, so at least I find wheaties in each penny box. I get bank wrapped rolls in $25 boxes. The copper content is almost always around 10%. The number of wheaties varies, but I usually get 5-7 on average per box. I have heard some people say on this board that they get 10 wheaties per box on average. I usually get a Canadian cent or two in each box, and have also picked up a copper coin from Kuwait once. I have found a few cents that were pre-1920 and a few wheaties that still have most of their original "red" luster.
Here's wishing you the best with your searches!

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Wow, you guys are getting killed. I usually pull about 30% copper. I've done probably around $250 in pennies and I have at least 65 lbs in copper pennies.

This is in the greater Philly area... I typically get Brinks clear-wrapped boxes, with the occasional stash of customer rolls here and there.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting those 2010 boxes back toward the beginning of the year and was selling them on ebay. Made enough to buy a little gold. Nice turning Copper plated Zinc into gold. Never had the patience to look for errors in those boxes. I do bank boxes for CU and get between 15-20% CU out of them. Usually try to get customer rolls if they are available and those sometimes are loaded with CU. Usually get between 5-10 wheats and a few Canadians.

OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
First, thank you all for the responses, as the hobby is always an excellent one, despite the filth of the money. The value of the money is in the face. Some people only get $1 for a coin that someone else is getting $2 for. Most importantly, keep looking! I myself generally pull a bout 5-10 wheats per box.. but one time I hit over 25....

Plus, if you know metal, copper has a nice allure too.. It's cheap, and on the rise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread