On Cloud 10...updated

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow CRHs,

I've read how a few of you on here routinely search dimes and on Friday decided to give it a try. I went into a grocery store and asked for halves at the Customer Service counter, when the girl said they had none I asked for two rolls of dimes. One customer roll was a skunk but the machine roll gave up a 1963 rosie - my first silver dime in the wild!!! I didn't ask for any more dime rolls because I didn't think I would get that lucky again!!! :laughing7:

Well, I got the itch to get some more dime rolls today after work and boy am I glad I did! I went into one of my banks that I do not order any coins from or dump at and asked for 7 rolls of dimes (all the cash I had on me at the time). One of the rolls had an open end and the dime peeking out looked white so as expected I got a little excited. Went out to the car and opened up that roll to reveal (drum roll please) it was solid white!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I am on "Cloud 10" right about now. :laughing7: Got some more cash out and bought the rest of the teller's 11 rolls - all skunks but a few Canadian dimes and a Caribbean nickel got my blood pumping a bit. My question is: should I go back to the branch and buy more dime rolls and see if any more of these "glory rolls" turn up or is this like a once in a lifetime occurrence?

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Attachments

• CIMG0052.JPG
    CIMG0052.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 585
Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: On Cloud 10...

That picture is great, a sight for sore eyes! I would hit that bank up for whatever they could spare. Congrats on the solid roll, the best I've done in 3 years is 29 in a roll. ffd

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

WOW! :o Great pic and awesome score! :thumbsup: I would definitely get more rolls there. What are the odds that this person had exactly enough silver dimes for one roll, unless maybe they dumped it by accident.

Congrats and HH!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kudos $$. You can't win if you don't play.

And what a break that you didn't have to read those TINY dates on dimes. ;D

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST

Sweet score! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I would make arrangements to buy all of their loose (customer wrapped) dime, quarter, and half rolls...and do it quickly. DO NOT let them know about your score, however. Just let them know you collect coins to fill up your coin albums and you got a couple of ones you've needed and would like to see if there are any others.

Once you've run the bank on their loose rolls, make sure to reward the tellers with a big bag of fun size chocolate candy bars...the silver dime roll fairy may come back and you want the tellers to think of you and CALL YOU FIRST....

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010

Nice find... my best was 29 in a box, that kicks it's ass. Hard to find silver in CWR, I'd go clean them out.

Were they all roosies? Some look worn enough on the reeding to be mercs.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Id go back and get all the dime and quarter rolls they have !
Congrats on a fantastic score. That's got to be the best photo I've seen this month :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If that's not inspiration to search customer dime rolls, i don't know what is! A huge congrats, that would make my month! :icon_thumleft:

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA

Now that's a nice score! What dates did you get? Awesome!

When I started doing this back in January, I read all of the success stories here and started out slow ($20 here, $20 there). Then one day I bought four rolls and found 54 silver dimes (mainly within two rolls). Now I go through about $1K/week and still make consistent finds, but nothing on the order of 54 all at once.

That's what is so awesome about this.....you truly never know what you will find. Now that you made a killer score, you will also be more determined than ever to repeat it.

HH,
cuttybce

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all of your awesome feedback!!! The roll was all rosies and mixed dates '46-'64! :laughing7: I am taking all of your collective advice and will stop in there tomorrow morning when they open and ask to buy all of their customer rolls of dimes and quarters...I will update this thread tomorrow and let you all know how I made out!!! Still on Cloud 10 here!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

Nice find - :icon_thumright: Congrats. Don't see many solid rolls of dimes.

Maine_Jim

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Incredible find and great score! Congrats! Nice pics, too. :laughing7:

apush :read2:

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good score $ilver$urfer, glad to see you hit and nice pic :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

$ilver $urfer;
Beautiful picture!
Funny how a shot like that gets all of our collective, addicted pulses racing!!
All Mercs!! Very nice!!
I sincerely hope you find more like that one when you go back and check.
- Grizz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread