Cool find today...

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Started with my dump... Dumped $1k in quarter, $750 in dimes, and $200 in nickels... maybe a bit more, I don't really recall. Anyway, one of the tellers that was helping me hands me one that kept getting rejected, and I look at it. Interesting, it's a Swiss 5 rappen. Flip it over, date? 1881. I just said "Whoa, it's old."

Anyway, ran to another bank, got $500 in dimes, $500 in quarters, $100 in nickels. 2 roosies, 2 canadian quarters, no silver quarters, a few yosemite park quarters, and half the box of nickels has yielded about a roll of pre-60's and 1 war nickel. Very meh, except for the 5 rappen. That's now my oldest roll searching find, I suppose you would say.

Funny thing was the machine had a few ikes stuck in it... whomever dumped the ikes must have dumped the 5 rappen as well. I'd grade it XF.

IMAG00152.jpg

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool coin, never sen one b4

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coin - nice find! :laughing7: Any idea on what it is made of and what it is worth?

HH,

$ilver$urfer

OP
OP
Ltrain

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
$ilver$urfer said:
Cool coin - nice find! :laughing7:Any idea on what it is made of and what it is worth?

HH,

$ilver$urfer
Copper-nickel. They're going on ebay for about $4 similar condition.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ltrain said:
$ilver$urfer said:
Cool coin - nice find! :laughing7:Any idea on what it is made of and what it is worth?

HH,

$ilver$urfer
Copper-nickel. They're going on ebay for about $4 similar condition.

Not bad...so if you bought it for 5 cents and sold it for $4 dollars that would be about 8000% profit right??? :laughing7:

Cool coin nonetheless...here's to you finding a dream box or two! :occasion14:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

OP
OP
Ltrain

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Thanks man, I'll need all the luck I can get around here.

The 5 rappen is pretty much the size of a dime, so that halves my profit ratio. :(

In other news, the remainder of that box yielded a dateless buffy, another silver war nick, a 20 rappen, and about 1/2 a roll of pre-60's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread