Halloween Story and Silver

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I picked up a roll of Peace dollars and a roll of silver eagles. There is nothing like opening up one of those boxes and finding a solid roll of big dollars. Sure beats searching for halves.Although the price is another matter.
The last time I bought Eagles they were going for $280.00 a roll so it has been a while.
Anyway the only reason I mentioned the above was so that I could stay somewhat on topic.
Here's the real story.
It's a spooky Halloween type tale
Last night about 2:45 am I'm in my clubhouse room watching the end of an old time movie, when I hear a strange banging like noise coming from the cellar and from the kitchen.
I'm thinking maybe it's someone trying to break in,but then the dog wasn't barking. I have about 3 minutes till the movie ends so I decided to watch the movie,and if it's a burglar, he'll just have to wait.
When the movie ends I went to check it out. Checked the cellar, kitchen, doors,etc. and everything is locked up tight. I take a peek into the bedroom where my wife is,and should be sleeping. She is wide awake,sitting on the edge of the bed, her eyes filled with terror,and visibly trembling.
"I saw something walk by the bedroom and down the hallway"she said.
(Now I don't really believe in spooks,and to tell you the truth if I saw one,I'd grab him by the tail and throw his a$$ out the window.)
I notice my wife is rubbing her forearms,when I asked her what she saw. As she is telling me the hairs on the back of my head raise up and tingle. Which really doesn't ever happen to me.
She said that she woke up because she felt her arms burning,like they were on fire.She jumped up and saw a woman,in her 30's,with long curly hair,and all white, walk out of her bedroom and down the hallway.
I would have made some sort of wisecrack,but in the 30 something years I've been married,I've never seen my wife so frightened. I brought her into the kitchen where she was still rubbing her arms. I tried calming her down,trying to no avail to convince her that it had to be some sort of dream(although at this point I wasn't so sure it was a dream myself).
There were of course no burn marks on her arms. She thinks that people who believe in ghosts,aliens,etc.are nuts.She never has nightmares,doesn't drink, and is much saner than I.
This was an extremely bizarre incident. Strange but true.
Happy Halloween
Rich

Upvote 0

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
That's just freaky. Take out the crosses and keep the handgun loaded... :wink:

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
It's because you have too much silver. The lady was trying to tell your wife that you need to mail me 10 rolls of 90%'ers and she'll go away. ;D

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich,
Sorry to hear about your wife's scare.

I hope the only solid white, walking ladies in your future are round and have an eagle on the backside! ::)
Steve

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!! :laughing7:

HH, (also stands for Happy Halloween this week!!!) :tongue3:

$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve L. said:
Rich,
Sorry to hear about your wife's scare.

I hope the only solid white, walking ladies in your future are round and have an eagle on the backside! ::)
Steve

Touche!!! :laughing7:

HH,

$ilver$urfer

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rich,
I have to admit it was me. I looked up your address on the net and decided I wanted to get all those walkers you have hidden in your house. Am back home now counting them and putting them in 2 X 2's
Thanks,
rileyboy

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope Mrs. Hartford is doing okay now. Those type of dreams--or what ever it was--does get us gals a bit upset. Family first.

apush :read2:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich I read your story last night after dinner. I was going to read it to my wife but didn't want to freak her out so I kept it to myself. Went to bed last night and woke up this morning to my 4 year old son jumping into bed with us. He tells us that he has had a scary dream and burrows down in between me and my wife. Just out of curiosity I asked him what he was dreaming about and wouldn't you know it he says, "I had a dream about a lady that burns people." The first thing that popped into my head was your story. It was about an hour before my alarm goes off but I didn't go back to sleep and laid there kinda freaked out.
Personally I have never experienced anything like your wife did (and never wish to) but I have close friends that have and they swear to this day it was real.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar experience Rich back in the 80s. 1st thing we always try to do is convince ourselves it was just a bad dream. My bad dream slammed my bathroom door hard enough twice to shake the house.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AGCoinHunter said:
Rich I read your story last night after dinner. I was going to read it to my wife but didn't want to freak her out so I kept it to myself. Went to bed last night and woke up this morning to my 4 year old son jumping into bed with us. He tells us that he has had a scary dream and burrows down in between me and my wife. Just out of curiosity I asked him what he was dreaming about and wouldn't you know it he says, "I had a dream about a lady that burns people." The first thing that popped into my head was your story. It was about an hour before my alarm goes off but I didn't go back to sleep and laid there kinda freaked out.
Personally I have never experienced anything like your wife did (and never wish to) but I have close friends that have and they swear to this day it was real.

That's a weird coincidence.
I've had a few strange things happen to me over the years. I discount things that are seen out of the corner of ones,eye,or anything that may appear to happen while in a horizontal position.
1.In 1964 as a kid I picked up an early morning paper route (had an afternoon paper route as well). Back then everyone knew everyone in the neighborhood.
It was winter when I started this job,it was dark and the streets were deserted at 4:30 am so I was a bit spooked
worried about Bela Lugosi hiding up in a tree. So I carried a couple of rocks on me for protection.
So one morning as I walk out the door I see a girl,about my age,standing across the street like a statue,not blinking,just staring at me. She looked Italian, which was not unusual in my neighborhood. I can see her to this day,and descibe what she was wearing,a red and black vertically striped winter coat with the buckles in front. I had never seen this girl before,and of course,I knew all the people in the building that she was standing in front of. So I shouted out, "what are you looking at"she didn't answer, so I asked again in broken Italian,which I knew as a kid,and got no response. She just stared at me. Something gave me that gut feeling that there is something very wrong here.
Breaking all the rules, about hitting girls,I pulled a good sized rock out of my pocket and hurled it at her with all my might,hitting her squarely in the chest.
She didn't blink,move,or mutter a sound. I ran as fast as I could back into the house and quit that paper route.
Never saw that girl again.
2. I was living next to a farm in Belgium. Along the side of my house was a dirt road that led to other farms and woods. Most of the farms in this area had cows and maybe a workhorse.
One evening I was up late painting. At about 2 am all of a sudden I hear the thundering hoofbeats of what must have been hundreds of horses charging down the dirt road. I looked out the window but it was so dark I couldn't see anything. So I ran down the stairs,and went outside where I saw nothing.
3. In the same house I'm living in I'm sitting down watching the TV which is about 15' from me. On top of the TV I had several VCR tapes standing up between 2 bookends. For no apparent reason one of the tapes flew threw the air,end over end and landed on my lap. I put it back and continued to watch the tv.
That's all that ever happened to me.
Rich

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
AGCoinHunter said:

That's a weird coincidence.
I've had a few strange things happen to me over the years. I discount things that are seen out of the corner of ones,eye,or anything that may appear to happen while in a horizontal position.
1.In 1964 as a kid I picked up an early morning paper route (had an afternoon paper route as well). Back then everyone knew everyone in the neighborhood.
It was winter when I started this job,it was dark and the streets were deserted at 4:30 am so I was a bit spooked
worried about Bela Lugosi hiding up in a tree. So I carried a couple of rocks on me for protection.
So one morning as I walk out the door I see a girl,about my age,standing across the street like a statue,not blinking,just staring at me. She looked Italian, which was not unusual in my neighborhood. I can see her to this day,and descibe what she was wearing,a red and black vertically striped winter coat with the buckles in front. I had never seen this girl before,and of course,I knew all the people in the building that she was standing in front of. So I shouted out, "what are you looking at"she didn't answer, so I asked again in broken Italian,which I knew as a kid,and got no response. She just stared at me. Something gave me that gut feeling that there is something very wrong here.
Breaking all the rules, about hitting girls,I pulled a good sized rock out of my pocket and hurled it at her with all my might,hitting her squarely in the chest.
She didn't blink,move,or mutter a sound. I ran as fast as I could back into the house and quit that paper route.
Never saw that girl again.
2. I was living next to a farm in Belgium. Along the side of my house was a dirt road that led to other farms and woods. Most of the farms in this area had cows and maybe a workhorse.
One evening I was up late painting. At about 2 am all of a sudden I hear the thundering hoofbeats of what must have been hundreds of horses charging down the dirt road. I looked out the window but it was so dark I couldn't see anything. So I ran down the stairs,and went outside where I saw nothing.
3. In the same house I'm living in I'm sitting down watching the TV which is about 15' from me. On top of the TV I had several VCR tapes standing up between 2 bookends. For no apparent reason one of the tapes flew threw the air,end over end and landed on my lap. I put it back and continued to watch the tv.
That's all that ever happened to me.
Rich
Next, on Ghosthunters.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
pretty creepy Rich.....i bet she believes now.
we had a similar experience with our new home. we moved in around 3 years ago. fairly new home (16 yrs. old) in a developement that was a 100 acre farm. soon after we moved in the women in the house (my wife, daughter, and daughter-in-law) at different times told me that they saw a boy on the 2nd fl. hall and in the master bedroom. i didn't see anything but had a couple strange things happen. one was the day we moved in. i heard knocking on the wall in the master bedroom. this wall is on the 2nd fl and there is nothing on the outside except siding. nothing loose and no wind blowing :icon_scratch: yet it definitly was knocking with no pattern to it. another day i was reading the paper on my ottomen when the pages started to move. no breeze in the house....i thought perhaps something was under the pages like a bug or something. i smashed my hand on the paper but there was nothing under it. it stopped after that. anyway i still thought nothing of it until my sister-in law came over for a visit. noone told her anything so it freaked me out when she told me she was in the bathroom in the master bedroom (my room) and in the mirror she saw aboy walk past the bathroom door. at first she thought it was me or my son as she didn't get a good look, but then she heard my son and i talking downstairs in the family room. a few days later my daughter-in-laws mother came over and she told us she saw a boy standing at the top of the stairs leaning over looking at us. at first she thought it was my son....until he came walking in from the garage. she looked again and he was gone. now at this point only the women have seen him, then a few nights later my son was in the family room when out of the corner of his eye he sees someone walk down the stairs and go into the living room. he assumed it was me until i came walking down a few minutes later. he jumped up and ran in the other room. i said "what are you doing?" he said "some guy just walked by me i thought it was you." needless to say noone was there. this was all in the first year and nothing has happened since. i got another story but i have to go.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mistergee said:
we had a similar experience with our new home. we moved in around 3 years ago. fairly new home (16 yrs. old) in a developement that was a 100 acre farm. soon after we moved in the women in the house (my wife, daughter, and daughter-in-law) at different times told me that they saw a boy on the 2nd fl. hall and in the master bedroom. i didn't see anything but had a couple strange things happen. one was the day we moved in. i heard knocking on the wall in the master bedroom. this wall is on the 2nd fl and there is nothing on the outside except siding. nothing loose and no wind blowing :icon_scratch: yet it definitly was knocking with no pattern to it. another day i was reading the paper on my ottomen when the pages started to move. no breeze in the house....i thought perhaps something was under the pages like a bug or something. i smashed my hand on the paper but there was nothing under it. it stopped after that. anyway i still thought nothing of it until my sister-in law came over for a visit. noone told her anything so it freaked me out when she told me she was in the bathroom in the master bedroom (my room) and in the mirror she saw aboy walk past the bathroom door. at first she thought it was me or my son as she didn't get a good look, but then she heard my son and i talking downstairs in the family room. a few days later my daughter-in-laws mother came over and she told us she saw a boy standing at the top of the stairs leaning over looking at us. at first she thought it was my son....until he came walking in from the garage. she looked again and he was gone. now at this point only the women have seen him, then a few nights later my son was in the family room when out of the corner of his eye he sees someone walk down the stairs and go into the living room. he assumed it was me until i came walking down a few minutes later. he jumped up and ran in the other room. i said "what are you doing?" he said "some guy just walked by me i thought it was you." needless to say noone was there. this was all in the first year and nothing has happened since. i got another story but i have to go.

Interesting story!!
Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:

Please post the other one. This definately is interesting.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cool story Rich. I have one to share that happened to me just 6 years ago. For the record I never really believed in any ghost type things before.

My parents house and subdivision for that matter was built on a farm that was around during the civil war. There is no records of any battles on the exact property but there are records of dozens of battles and skirmishes in all directions within a mile or 2 of the house. I didnt live with my parents when they moved into this brand new home but I ended up moving into an apartment they had built on the property a few years after they moved in. Let me describe the apartment so one can picture how this happened. At the end of the driveway there is 2 garage doors. The only other way into this apartment is a normal door on the right side of the apartment which also has a locking doggy door. The doggy door locks from the inside only. Now to get inside the living area you simply walk up the stairs and there is another normal door. Now this place was tiny. If a gnat farted in the garage you could hear it. So anyone opening a door or coming up or down the stairs was beyond obvious. Now the story part.

My girlfriend/ future wife was living with me at the time and was sound asleep in the bed. I was on the computer about 3am due to being young and having nothing to do the next day. The sound on the computer was off as i was playing an interactive shooting game and didnt want to wake the lady. Right around 3am I heard someone walking up the stairs. This didnt bother me at all as i had a college age brother who on occasion would come home to our parents place and not want to wake them and he would use his key to my apartment and just let himself in and crash on the sofa till morning. After a couple minutes of more shooting i realize my brother never opened the door AND i didnt hear him fumbling for keys nor did i hear him walk down the stairs. Then it occured to me WAIT i never heard him open the door or the garage door which you could hear while in a coma its echoes so loudly. Now I assumed I must have been "hearing things" due to being up to late. So i walked to the door and put my ear against it and clearly heard deep breathing. So my heart starts pounding and i think maybe im hearing my own breathing. I hold my breath, listen again and no doubt hear someone breathing on the other side of my door. I wanted so badly to believe my brother was there but my kid brother isnt one to wait politely. Yes at 3am he would have knocked had he not had a key or would have just yelled wake up butthead or something. Whoever was standing at my door breathing at 3am was not there for good intentions and i realized it. I grabbed a kitchen knife and baseball bat walked back to the door and said "ive called the police and im about to open this door" hoping the person would take off. Nothing. No response, no footsteps. Maybe Im just hearing things? I listen through the door again and hear the same breathing. It sounded like this breathing was literally an inch from my ear like this person was possibly listening through the door as well and this freaked me out and pissed me off. I kicked the bottom of the door hard and immediately heard heavy footsteps going down the stairs I slung the door open to see......................................nothing! This made it even worse. The door didnt open, the garage doors were still shut. Then it hit me, I must have left the doggy door open and the damn bulldog came in and walked up my stairs. Duh cause my bulldog would definately sit there and breath heavy right? So almost laughing with my heart still racing i walked down the stairs to close the doggy door which to my dismay was shut and locked tightly from the inside. WTF??? This was the point i nearly needed new britches. I had walked down the stairs and turned my back to the garage where someone now was cleary hiding from me and possibly waiting for me. At this point I used the phone in the garage to call the police. Now scared for my life and my girlfriends life I felt like it was time to find this guy and play homerun derby. And that is about where it ends. I checked every square inch of that garage including inside the washer and dryer. A mouse would have been found let alone a person or dog. There was no one in that garage but me and no door had opened. I went back upstairs where my now wide awake girlfriend told me to please turn the heat on. It was august and with the airconditioning set to 70 my thermometer read 52. When the cop arrived I told him it must have been a false alarm because he never left the garage and he cleary wasnt still in there and i apoligized. There was no way I was telling him what i now thought the noises to be.

We moved into our first house about 3 weeks later as it was time to get the hell out of there. Coincidentally my younger brother moved into the apartment a year later and never experienced anything. As for me I now believe in things I once didnt and im glad as heck i never saw what walked up and down my stairs. Rich-- Dont discount things you or your wife think they see because you just may have.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
almost forgot about this.... i just reread an earlier post in "everything else" where we were discussing ghosts.
okay....i dont know whats going on here but i think whatever or whoever is trying to piss me off....and its doing a good job...
its 11:50 pm and i just spent the last 4 hours trying to start a new topic about my brother-in-laws house being haunted (this is the other story i'm gonna tell you) and i think something is trying to stop me from writing it.... i'm down in the living room typing on the laptop on the ottoman (the same ottoman where my coin book page was moving.....so it takes me like an hour to write the story (so i type slow ) and i'm almost done when the battery light on my computer comes on and then the laptop shuts off....AND ITS PLUGGED IN!!!!
this happened FOUR ^%$#%^& TIMES.... each time its right before im finishing and ready to post......so now i'm pissed ....first thing im thinkin i need a new battery....but it was plugged in...doesnt even need a battery when its plugged in.....took it upstairs to the bedroom and turn it on without being plugged in and guess what....FULL BATTERY
oh yeah also when i was almost finished the last time...everyone was in bed and im typing with the tv on and over the laptop i see someone walk a few steps from left to right ....thought someone came downstairs and i didnt hear them...i quickly look up and noone is there!!!!! thats when the laptop cut off....
so now tell me is something going on here or what??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread