Pulled the Plug Today

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
This morning at I get a call from American Eagle Federal Credit Union,my main dump bank,where I've been dumping problem free,for the past 13 months.
The call was from some character,calling himself,"The VP". So he asks me do I know how much money I've put through the coin counter? I tell him I could probably figure it out if I had a calculator handy,but since you sound like you already know go ahead and tell me? He lays out the figure and I say "so what".
I'm a customer and I pay, for that privledge by letting you hold on to my savings account, all $62.00.
Now he gets all huffy and puffy and attempts to be intimidating at long distance with someone who has mastered that art and can write a book on it.
He says that all of the bank managers are suspicious of my activities. That his risk management team has been checking me out,because I may be involved in some scheme to defraud the bank.
He alludes that I'm involved in some type of money laundering scheme. I supress a laugh, I supress calling him every name in the book. I'm trying to gage how serious this guy is,if he's pulling a con job,or is nutty enough to believe that I'm some sort of terrorist that he is compelled to report to the authorities. I also have 4k in halves that I have to dump today because Monday is welfare check day.
If he is being serious I don't want to get in the crosshairs of some modern day law enforcement agency whose employees wear ballistic underpants,hands shake with the DT's, and use tazers because they don't have the guts to put their hands on the bad guys(and old ladies). Could be a dangerous and expensive proposition.
So as much as I wanted to be honest with him and call him a DH,I held my tongue,maybe dropping a few barbs that he will catch on to later,and told him, look I have to drop off 4k in halves today, so let me do that and I'll take my laundry elsewhere for now on. He agreed and I dumped the 4k.
There was no way that I could have negotiated,conned,or give a sob story that would have convinced him to allow me to keep dumping, and to tell you the truth I really did not want too.
Now I do have reserve banks,just in case I need them in an emergency,but found out just last night that someone else is using them to dump,and they are already giving him a hard time.
So I closed out the account at my dump bank and my main supply bank,and will hopefully complete closing my bank accounts by next week.
So that's it. Endgame.
I'm not particularly pissed as I've had a good run for the past 23 months. I had fun and now it's over. In fact I'm a bit relieved as the hobby was starting to feel like a job where the thrill is gone.
I will be here on T-Net reading about the great finds. They were always the best part of the hobby as there is nothing to dump :laughing7:
HH
Rich

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
silvercop said:
i am not far behind you rich. i was going to hang in there until the end of the year with the hopes it will pick up. had my best month ever last december. maybe there will be some cashed in this year for the holidays. if i continue to keep getting these skunk rolls i am going to hang it up.

That's okay! We did pretty darn good for getting into the game late !
HH
Rich

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That SUCKS!!! I've been envious of yours and Mojo's dedication and nice scores since I started this hobby. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
fistfulladirt said:
Best of luck Rich, I've been spending time buying silver coin more than than I've been chr'ing, although I will probably always be searching rolls. Just bought 9 decent mixed date seated halves for $22 ea, for numismatic reasons only! Good luck if you decide to go buying.

That's what I'll be doing. Buying a little bit here and there. Nothing wrong with that
HH
Rich

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
rileyboy said:
Rich,
Sorry to hear about your bank dilema. Just back off for a little while and get back into it again. We always enjoy your posts and you have been very good at scoring big time. If you still decide to drop out for a while, let's open that bar I mentioned to you in your post last night. We can call it "The Coin Roller" and give "half" price to anyone who pays in silver coins. You're a good man, Charlie Brown, and I'll miss your posts.
All the best to you.
rileyboy and "Riley" Ruff....Ruff

Believe it or not I owned a bar for 3 years. Back in the days when I could drink beer all night long and not get drunk or gain a pound. Long long time ago
HH
Rich

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rich,

It is a sad day for all of us CRHers in here who benefited from your sage advice and lived vicariously through your CRH tales. Your silver scores were legendary and you will be sorely missed!!!

HH and best of luck with whatever you choose to spend your time doing!!! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for everything!

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fare thee well Rich !!! , You have certainly been an inspiration to me and most everybody else
on this forum . One of my best dump banks just dried up as well , they brought in a new coin
counter , and it hardly works - even with like $300. bucks worth . I'll continue to try a box every
week or two just for grins - and over the counter rolls whenever I feel like it - but no volume,
Take care ! Argentium.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that Rich, your wit will be missed here. Drop us a line once in awhile so we know you're still checking in. Best Wishes,MM2

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry Rich. Something will happen to allow you to continue searching.
HH
enamel7

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
Sad to see you go, your scores were definitely an inspiration for everybody here. I'm sure you'll find a way to keep CRHing in the future. Good luck!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sorry to hear that Rich.. I really enjoyed your numbers and wished I could order boxes as many as you have. It's funny that you have about the same amount in that account as my order bank account. I don't understand why this bank is worried about money laundering since so many merchants dump tons of quarters and other coins all the time. It's odd that everyone on the east coast that I've read on here have so many problems with dumping. I have the opposite problem here. It's hard to get banks here to constantly order them. I never have problems dumping. Banks out here moan when I'm trying to order. It's usually the chick tellers that don't want to lift them. Dudes don't care. They always complain about not having enough space to hold like two boxes and they tell me that I better pick them up right away or they get angry. Ordering them is the biggest challenge for me.

Rich, how come you don't just tell that guy that you're just looking for collectible coins? And the more you order, the higher the chances of finding them. You don't have to mention Ag. My dump bank here is cool and knows about what I do when dumping. I even tell them the results. Last 5 boxes in two weeks netted 5 keepers. The teller was curious at first but frowned when I said I got only 5. It's like they were expecting a jackpot or something. The reality is far from expectations. I agree that it's annoying as h%ll to have some db banker asking about your business. If you tell them, they would get off your back. If some government official asks, I just tell them to look up three words "CRH" on Google and then tell them to F#ck off. "It's not my fault that the government used to make coins from Ag, inflates the world with worthless paper, and now pumps out coins made of crap". It's my right to look through them if I want. If they want me to stop this hobby, then make Ag $4.00/oz and I'll stop.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If some government official asks, I just tell them to look up three words "CRH" on Google and then tell them to F#ck off. "It's not my fault that the government used to make coins from Ag, inflates the world with worthless paper, and now pumps out coins made of crap". It's my right to look through them if I want. If they want me to stop this hobby, then make Ag $4.00/oz and I'll stop.

+1 Totally agree.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you can get rid of those "Squeaky" shoes and get some good ones..... :laughing7:

Have really enjoyed your posts and optimism for many months. Time to relax and take up a new
hobby. I can offer some suggestions if you like.

1) Needlepoint
2) Cross Stitch
3) Pennies and a Rydale machine........ :laughing7:
4) Long drives on a moon light night with your wife.
5) Great Grandchildren - Enjoy
6) Lollipop Stick Collection - 89's have errors on them....... :laughing9:

At any rate, enjoy life and get back into the game later on.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I feel bad for you because i like your posts. But I don't really get why and how you had to do so many boxes anyway each week. As my post about rationing boxes states this was going to happen to all of those who abuse the "system" as far as the bank sees it. To tell the truth I wonder what took the banks so long to clamp down on CRH overdoers. JMO

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Rich,

Sorry to see you go but I guess that leaves more for others to find. Good luck in your endeavors, don't become a 'lurker'!

~phrostie~

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hi Ho Silver! said:
I feel bad for you because i like your posts. But I don't really get why and how you had to do so many boxes anyway each week. As my post about rationing boxes states this was going to happen to all of those who abuse the "system" as far as the bank sees it. To tell the truth I wonder what took the banks so long to clamp down on CRH overdoers. JMO

It's Rich's right to CRH 8 boxes if he wants. Personally, I don't have the funds to do that many boxes but I probably would if I did and if banks out here will do it. I have problems ordering them myself but banks usually say they don't have room in their vault for 2 boxes so I better pick them up right away as soon as the truck drops them off. I think if you had the time, funds, & infinite bank order capacity, you would do it too.

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Hi Ho Silver! said:

It's all up to Rich on how many boxes he wants to do a week 8,10,50.He did not abuse the system,just did has many boxes as Rich felt he could do and dump with out it being a problem.If it was a rationing excuse your bank gave you, it could be just as easy to tell you something else for not getting your boxes or putting a limit on you or others.I say do as many as one can afford.All good things come to an end in do time so.Ride it as long as you can and may your silver be piled high.HH

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
RIcoinhunter is right.. all good things will come to an end at some point. In the future, I predict halves boxes will have as much Ag in them as a dime box or a quarter box.. most end up being skunks. It's inevidable, whether it's a small timer doing CRH, a bunch of CRHers, or a large company doing it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
...maybe dropping a few barbs that he will catch on to later...

Rich,

I hate that the ride has seemingly come to an end for you, but I woulda paid more than a few silver halves to have been able to eavesdrop on that conversation! ;D I have become quite fond of your sense of humor, and will surely miss it!

At any rate, at least you got to dump there for 13 months with no problems. I lost a dump bank after only 3 or so months of dumping far less than $4K a week. It wasn't even close to $4K a month. So be thankful that you got to CRH as long as you did - in an area that produced way above average to boot! I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you do next.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
ArkieBassMan said:
Rich Hartford said:
...maybe dropping a few barbs that he will catch on to later...

Rich,

I hate that the ride has seemingly come to an end for you, but I woulda paid more than a few silver halves to have been able to eavesdrop on that conversation! ;D I have become quite fond of your sense of humor, and will surely miss it!

At any rate, at least you got to dump there for 13 months with no problems. I lost a dump bank after only 3 or so months of dumping far less than $4K a week. It wasn't even close to $4K a month. So be thankful that you got to CRH as long as you did - in an area that produced way above average to boot! I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you do next.

I'll still be on here Arkie !
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread