20 bucks in nickels. First buffalo in the wild!! Yea its a noob

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
Did 20 bucks in clear wraped nickels from my local Chase bank. I thought the clear wraped roll would be all new nicks, boy was I wrong!! I ended up with my first buff in the wild (no date :() and 17 pre 1960's!! Thats more than I got with 50 bucks in individual paper wraped rolls from boxes! It also got me my oldest jefferson nick, a 1941.I'v only looked through about 300 bucks in nicks.That made my day after searching a box of cents with nothing but 2 wheat a 1940s and 1952. Show some respect for a young noob!! ;D

Upvote 0

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Nickels are fun to search... my best find so far was a '31-S in VF. I've also pulled about 10 buffalo nickels, 15 war nickels, 1 1939-D and 3 1939-S.

Congrats on your first buff nick score. Here's to many, many more... as long as you don't live near me. :laughing7:

OP
OP
festiva_ford

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
Ltrain said:
Nickels are fun to search... my best find so far was a '31-S in VF. I've also pulled about 10 buffalo nickels, 15 war nickels, 1 1939-D and 3 1939-S.

Congrats on your first buff nick score. Here's to many, many more... as long as you don't live near me. :laughing7:
I'v got 2 war nicks from a box before. I'm still waiting anxiously for my first 38 or 39 jeff nick, I take it there not that rare to find since the design isn't old. Lol I hope you don't live in the San Francisco area! :laughing9:

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
festiva_ford said:
I'v got 2 war nicks from a box before. I'm still waiting anxiously for my first 38 or 39 jeff nick, I take it there not that rare to find since the design isn't old. Lol I hope you don't live in the San Francisco area! :laughing9:

Philly. :) I've got piles of nickels from '38-'60... I pull 'em all. Might toss back the 60's, though, they're getting fairly common.

Tough part is finding key dates... I got crazy lucky on that '31-S, it's the second lowest mintage Buff Nick... that, the 39-D and 2 of the 39-S's came out of the same box where I got 2 rolls of BU nickels dated from '46-'48 and '55-'65. Nothing like stumbling on a dumped collection. :D

OP
OP
festiva_ford

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
Ltrain said:
festiva_ford said:

Philly. :) I've got piles of nickels from '38-'60... I pull 'em all. Might toss back the 60's, though, they're getting fairly common.

Tough part is finding key dates... I got crazy lucky on that '31-S, it's the second lowest mintage Buff Nick... that, the 39-D and 2 of the 39-S's came out of the same box where I got 2 rolls of BU nickels dated from '46-'48 and '55-'65. Nothing like stumbling on a dumped collection. :D
I did find an overwhelming amount of 60-64 nicks while searching. WOW! :o thats a rare buff!! Great luck on that dumped collection!

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
festiva_ford said:
I did find an overwhelming amount of 60-64 nicks while searching. WOW! :o thats a rare buff!! Great luck on that dumped collection!

Keep searching... I bet you'll hit one sooner or later... nobody ever looks at their pocket change besides quarters these days.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
festiva_ford said:
Ltrain said:

Well, I'm in the SF bay area.. and well, you're lucky I don't do nickels. Although I thought about them, I would rather do cents than nickels. Halves have pretty much dried up for me. I think cents are better since the copper can be sold on Ebay. You get around 30-50% profit but you have to have a larger quantity. It takes a while to get them sorted by hand. I have about $150 face value worth saved up by hand sorting. I still get coppers but wait till some giant CRH with 5 ryesdales and $100,000 in cash sucks the area dry too.

OP
OP
festiva_ford

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
SFBayArea said:
festiva_ford said:
Ltrain said:

Well, I'm in the SF bay area.. and well, you're lucky I don't do nickels. Although I thought about them, I would rather do cents than nickels. Halves have pretty much dried up for me. I think cents are better since the copper can be sold on Ebay. You get around 30-50% profit but you have to have a larger quantity. It takes a while to get them sorted by hand. I have about $150 face value worth saved up by hand sorting. I still get coppers but wait till some giant CRH with 5 ryesdales and $100,000 in cash sucks the area dry too.
I only do cents once in a while, but only hoard the wheats. Wheats are pretty dry when I search boxes but I find more in change. I'v also searched about 100$ in costomer half dollar rolls and have yet to find silver. I can't afford boxes cause i'm just a poor student, but maybe i'll get one for Christmas ;D Whats your average for finding silver halfs? btw GO GIANTS! (No offense to the phillies Ltrain) LOL

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Phils didn't deserve to win this year... played like shit.

Giants, OTOH, I knew they were gonna win after watching them dismantle the Phils like that... I called them in 6, they took it in 5.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More will come! Wait till you get your first V-Nickel. You are already hooked, but it gets worse :laughing9: But, at least, I think of it as a slot machine where you don't loose your $$$.

HSH,
apush :read2:

OP
OP
festiva_ford

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
Ltrain said:
Phils didn't deserve to win this year... played like --deleted--.

Giants, OTOH, I knew they were gonna win after watching them dismantle the Phils like that... I called them in 6, they took it in 5.
haha deleted :laughing9: The ginats needed a break anyway after having such a rough losing streak for all these years. And so did San Francisco, never seen so much spirit! Everyone's in jerseys!

OP
OP
festiva_ford

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
apush said:
More will come! Wait till you get your first V-Nickel. You are already hooked, but it gets worse :laughing9: But, at least, I think of it as a slot machine where you don't loose your $$$.

HSH,
Haha! At least your not losing money, just rolling them up again.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
apush said:

HSH,

I'm over $1500 and still no V-Nicks...

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ltrain said:
apush said:

HSH,

I'm over $1500 and still no V-Nicks...
I probably went thru about $5,000 before i found my 1st V nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread