CHR: Where it was....where its going

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
Re: CHR: Where it was....where it's going

I was curious about that same topic. I'v crh for a couple month now but i'v looked for siver dimes in change for 3 years now and i'm finding alot less silver dimes than just 2 years ago! alot less wheaties too :(

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

I think it depends on your location, ie, how many other CRHers there are, how long the area has been searched for silver and how heavily, etc.

I would imagine that there are still some areas out there that have "virgin" silver hoards waiting to be found. Unfortunately that is not my area. Anyone still searching halves heavily or even moderately in my area is going to be wasting time, unless they simply enjoy the hunt even if all they get are skunk boxes or boxes with 1- 40% occasionally. I may get one box a month and sometimes ask for customer rolls but that is it anymore.

No matter where you are there is always a possibility of lucking into a dream box or dream customer rolls though.

Jim

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think with this economy people are scratching all they can to pay the bills. A jar full of coins gets wrapped and spent now. I got a mercury dime in change 2 weeks ago. You just know that hasn't been going from pocket to till without being discovered for the last 70 years.

OTOH more people are aware of the value and there is more CRH competition than there has been.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

I started in '07, "Glory Days", there for a time there was silver in every box- unfortunately I wasn't able to capitalize fully but it was good. By '08 I had a system in place to do 42 boxes a week and got 920 oz in 11 mos before I got burned out and took a month off. '09 I got back but never quite to full speed- probly 35-40/ week and got 948 oz. This year my lack of Oz's is in direct proportion to the lack of boxes, only 22-24 now from a high of 35 at the beginning of the year, on average it would be the same if I could been getting more boxes. HH Mark

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

In the late 70s early 80s i was only a preteen but new I could take $5 to a couple places that had visible change returns at large market places. I would simply scope out the silver rims of halves, quarters, dimes and ask if they would trade them to me. After I found $5 worth I would walk to the coin shop and sell them all and double my money. I remember one time specifically at the varsity in Atlanta I turned $5 into $40 but it took several long walks to the coin shop. The cool part was after the lunch rush the silver rims had replenished. We just didnt have enough time in the day to buy it all. Now those were the glory days even though silver was cheap as dirt.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

i have been at it for a little over 3 years. when i first started there was silver in every box and most of the time in every roll. i remember people posting stats on the number of skunk rolls in their boxes. now it is not uncommon to get on a skunk roll of 30 boxes or more. i just did 4 brinks boxes today and all of them were skunks. i am going to hang in there until the end of december and if it don't pick up i am going to join rich and pull the plug. it's just too much work not to find anything and the last 5 months have been dreadful not to mention the dumping fees i have to pay. i pulled my share of silver over the past 3 years and it has been fun, but the thrill is gone. i now understand why LJ stepped away. and i plan on stepping away. i will always stop at a few banks here and there and see if they have anything, and i might test the waters with a box or two when silver falls back under 20.00 oz.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Been roll hunting off and on for about 30 years, since about high school. Got into ordering boxes of halves about 3 years ago. They stunk then and they are 10 X worse now.....too many hunters in my area as early as 3 years ago. If I do have luck, it's through customer-rolled. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread