My dad hits the jackpot on halves!

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I had told my dad about roll searching and he got interested in it. He had ordered a $500 box and searched it about a week ago and found 2-40%ers. I told him to try going around to his local banks(he's in south Texas) and ask for rolled halves. He called me yesterday and told me he had stopped and picked up $50 in halves. He called me after opening the first roll. In the first roll, all 20 halves were silver. He proceeded to open the next four rolls with me on the phone and EVERY....SINGLE...COIN...WAS...SILVER!! I could not believe it. I told him to hang up and drive straight back to that bank and clean them out of halves no matter how much they had. He called me back about 30 minutes later and said they only had $33 more in halves. He opened them while on the phone and out of that $33 in halves, only $7 was not silver. So, out of $83 in halves total, he ended up with 12- 90%(all 12 were 1964) and 140- 40% halves!!!!!! I just about fell over. He has been at it only 1 week and hits the motherload. Ive been trying for the last few months and after searching over $3000 in halves Ive found 7- 40% coins.

Im guessing some old guy had saved them up in rolls and either forgot and cashed them in or passed and his family cashed them in. I told him to try a few rolls from the same bank of quarter, dimes, and nickels just in case. Havent heard fromh im yet today about those. Well, Im glad for him and at least it wasnt a local bank I would have been hitting :)

EDIT- I also stopped by my bank today and put in an order for two more boxes. She had $6 in loose halves but only had $5 with me. Ended up with a 1965 40%er out of just $5. Pretty happy with that :)

Upvote 0

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Great job!

I bet your dad is hooked for life now.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enormously lucky finds by newbie roll hunters is a frequent phenomenon. It's sort of a way for the "hook" to get inbedded deeply. Good for your Dad and I hope both your luck continues!

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Wow, that's tremendous. I'm still at zero after about 10 rolls or so. I'm having a lot better luck in the penny department. Got a 1943 steel penny in the last batch of 20 rolls this week. More later when I'm finished rerolling the zincs and count everything up.
HH
Bob

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
With gas prices how they are, im sure more people are going to turn in rolls of halves, not even knowing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread