The Beginning

existentiallettuce

Aug 23, 2009
Once when i was a lad, some 10-12 years ago, I had an extreme interest in coins and the like. The spark died to be filled by interests like cars, rock and roll, and women in my teenage years. Flash forward to a year ago. I was working my part time job at a little country restaurant when a foreign beaten silver disk fell from a customers grasp into my open palm. I dug through the recesses of my eroded early 20's mind. BAM! This shiny disk was a mercury dime, dated 1945. In the blink of an eye I was reminded of my interest and the amazing (amazing to me at the time) fact that old coins still floated around. I spent every shift hunting the change drawer. This went on for a few weeks, and one day I had my moment of clarity. BUY CHANGE FROM THE BANKS! My illness began that day, and I hope I never recover.

Anyway, amazing finds here. So far this hobby has been a real thrill, and i am sinking deeper each week. Share how you got turned on to CRH here. My story is lame, but man that was a good day.

HH
EL

Upvote 0

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have collected coins since I was a kid and been buying gold and silver for about 8 years now. ;D
My brother informed me of copper pennies and nickels worth more than face and gave me the idea to search halves. Thanks Bubba! :hello2:

HH,
Legend

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I did a bit of CRHing (although I didn't have a name for it then) back when I was 12ish. Now I'm 22. Anyways, I went around to banks for a few weeks maybe and asked if they had halves. If they did, I would look through them and buy the good ones (a cardinal sin, I know). In that period, I found maybe six 90% (including a ben) and 10 or so 40%. I also found a peace dollar back then!

Fast forward to late 2008. I had recently read about the speared-buffalo error and thought I would try to find one. (I had been uninterested in coins for quite a while now, and 2008 was the first I heard of it). I decided to pick up a few nickel rolls (about 20, I think), and about the same amount of cent, dime and quarter rolls. I found a 1911 Liberty Head Nickel! It had great detail (full liberty). I couldn't believe it. I was addicted.

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
My forefathers looked into a river, in a new land, and saw something shiny.
Then they say it was pretty to wear as a necklace or ear-ring.
Then, lots of people got killed over metals, and the powers they held.

*flash foreward*

Then, my father gave me lots of coins as a kid, and we visited the coin shop, etc.
Then, one day, as a server at a table, some lady dropped some silvers on the table.
Then, I took them to the pawn shop and got enough to buy an icecream sunday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread