S Mark Halves - Silver/Proof?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I am not familiar with halves as I have only done 3 boxes (1 skunk and 1 each 40% on other 2 boxes) and was wondering about the S mint marks. If there is a S mark are these proofs and silver? I ask because in peoples signatures I see listed with their finds these recent S dates like a 87s and so on. I don't think people would include these unless they were of value so any light that can be shed on this would be great. Should I be going through each half and looking for S marks? In my 3 boxes, I have only been looking at rims.

Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
All Kennedy Halves with an S mintmark are Proofs. Some are also silver such as 40%ers (1968 or 69S). 1976 S halves were made in both BU and Proof 40% silver, but you have to check the edge as there are also 1976 S Halves which are clad but still proof...

Finally, beginning in the 1990s, the San Francisco mint began making 90% silver proofs in addition to the clad proofs. Check the edge.

They are all probably worth keeping.

Good luck and HSH.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
if you are new to crh and just looking at edges you may be missing 40%ers I recommend you look at every date for a while. When you find a 40% then see the difference in the edge. I have found 1 per $100. in $400. from a bank the teller told me she goes through them.

good luck

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Thanks for the input. So you are saying I should be checking the faces for the S marks as I may be missing these 40% from just the rims?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You will find that there will be clad S-mint and silver S-mint for certain dates. You will have to observe the rim. I would suggest buying the Redbook.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions