Best Bank half finds today.. should I go back and give another offer

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Ok, I was out of my usual area today. I went into a small branch bank to dump $10 in pennies and while at the counter, I saw a bottom cabinet where they kept a bunch of rolls. I thought I saw three rolls that looked large and in brown paper. I thought they were Ikes. I asked about them saying "are those large dollar coins?" The girl sitting there at first gave me small rolls underneath which she said were smaller dollar coins. I then said "no the brown paper rolls on top". She then grabs one and said they're half dollars. I noticed that it was a $20 roll. I thought well, what the heck, I'll take a look at it. I looked at one coin on the end when I peeled back the folded paper and knew it was a 40%er. I noticed the roll said 65-69. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of saying, "this looks kinda old" and I said I wanted the rest. The girl seemed really hesitant about it and gave me another roll. I swore I thought I saw three rolls. She said there was only two rolls. I then noticed the box cabinet was now visibly blocked by the metal door. I swear she was keeping the other roll for herself based on the way she acted. She could've just been honest about it and said she's keeping it for herself.

So when I went to my car, I looked at the rolls and it was $40 face value with 79 keepers. One was a clad 1974 which I used along with some rolls of zincolns to get gas.

2 Walkers
2 90%ers
75 40%ers

That being said, I really want to go back to get the last roll which I thought was there. Should I go back tommorrow to try to buy it from her? I was thinking of offering her $40 for the $20 roll. Of course, one never knows what's in it. Could be the rest of the collection but clad. What should I do? I could dump some more pennies tommorrow there and see if they leave the cabinet open again tommorrow. My guess is the girl probably bought them and took them home by now and she did it based on my reaction to seeing them. I could offer couple bottles of wine. Any advice from CRHers?

Upvote 0

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! Paying $40 for $372.78 in silver! I would just let it go, be happy about the score, and tighten your lip next time :laughing9:.
HH,
Legend

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Great score. If it is a small bank I would go back but I would not offer to buy. No need to make her aware. I would try to get another teller to go to the same vault. It sounds like they share a vault for the rolls and odd ball stuff.

HH,
65GT350

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
65gt350 said:
Great score. If it is a small bank I would go back but I would not offer to buy. No need to make her aware. I would try to get another teller to go to the same vault. It sounds like they share a vault for the rolls and odd ball stuff.

HH,
65GT350
I agree. Just ask if they have anymore rolls.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
65gt350 said:

HH,
65GT350

Yeah, that's the best score I've had since I got 18 Morgans & Peace dollars years ago. I'll go back tommorrow. I'll bring another $10 in zincolns to dump. The bank is really small and look like they have 3 people working there at one time. I suspect the girl wanted the coins originally but didn't have the guts to tell me "no". She acted like the rolls weren't even there when I kept asking about them. I'm guess they're probably gone by now. I don't even think they have a vault. The cabinet under the girl had a lot of coin rolls there. I think that was probably their vault. There must've been 30 rolls of small dollar rolls that I saw in the cabinet. I just would prefer people tell me "no" than some lie. You don't have to lie. If she said "no" and I would respect that. Gonna go there for one last try tommorrow. I also think that if she did have them and kept them for herself, I could offer money for them. Of course, I'd have to look at them. I would prompt her first to tell me how much she wants for them and we could bargain from there. I don't think she would be well informed enough to know the price. She probably just wants them because I wanted them.

I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray (I'll start another thread on this). The ultimate weapon would to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had like say $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
fistfulladirt said:
You don't want to be cheap with your offer to buy. Give the poor girl at least 70% of melt.

I think if you offer them more than face value you are alerting them to the fact that they should look at those coins. Give her some donuts, a piza, flowers or "whatever". Just say the gift is becuase she is being nice to you and giving you the half dollars you want. NOt becasue you are getting silver. And NEVER offer more than face. Use a different way to reward your tellers. Or you'll end ALL future silver at that bank.

IMHO.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
fistfulladirt said:
You don't want to be cheap with your offer to buy. Give the poor girl at least 70% of melt.

I think if you offer them more than face value you are alerting them to the fact that they should look at those coins. Give her some donuts, a piza, flowers or "whatever". Just say the gift is becuase she is being nice to you and giving you the half dollars you want. NOt becasue you are getting silver. And NEVER offer more than face. Use a different way to reward your tellers. Or you'll end ALL future silver at that bank.

IMHO.

I agree with jrf. +1

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
jrf30 said:

IMHO.

I agree. Never mention or bring attention to the "S" word.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I wouldn't offer her more than face. For kristsake, it's a BANK! She should give you anything you want if you're a customer of theirs. Seems like she could get her butt in wringer if she was caught "selling" coins above face value; especially a Federally Insured bank.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Well I did go back today and dumped $10 in zincolns. No the girl wasn't there. It was like a different crew altogether. I asked the guy teller for halves and he had $10 worth. I can tell from the wrapper, they were probably no good and not the same ones from yesterday. Of course, they were skunks. I asked about any halves being in the vault, they said no. One guy there probably remembers me from dumping a box of halves there long ago. I made a big deal about it to them at the time since they didn't want to give me cash immediately for the dumps which were rolled. I convinced their manager to call another branch for input on letting me dump there. Bottom line is I don't think the guy liked me much because of that time. I also mentioned about the roll that I thought I saw on the cabinet under where the guy is sitting and where the girl was sitting yesterday. The cabinet was closed today so I couldn't see what was in it. He said nothing is there and if it was, the girl probably took it. Seemed like they let the employees buy the coins if they want.

Anyhow, I'm happy for what I got and makes up for a crappy month searching boxes.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I'd go back but, she can't sell it to you for more then face value if it is still in the bank. Outside that would be a different story. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Ho Silver! said:
I'd go back but, she can't sell it to you for more then face value if it is still in the bank. Outside that would be a different story. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Last year I bought a roll of Walkers and Franklins inside the bank, at the counter. I paid the teller $100 for the roll when silver was at $15, I knew that a nice key date (38D) walker was inside. She knew she had a roll of silver halves, I probably could have offered much less, it just didn't seem right. She bought the roll previously off the line, so it technically was her roll.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Last year I bought a roll of Walkers and Franklins inside the bank, at the counter. I paid the teller $100 for the roll when silver was at $15, I knew that a nice key date (38D) walker was inside. She knew she had a roll of silver halves, I probably could have offered much less, it just didn't seem right. She bought the roll previously off the line, so it technically was her roll.

That's awesome! What is the grade of the 38D?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yinzi50 said:
fistfulladirt said:

That's awesome! What is the grade of the 38D?
Yinzi I did not have it graded, it's raw maybe F+ or better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread