Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip 12-14-10 NIFC mania!!! & a couple of minor "firsts"

Hit the road again. I hit a very rural area where the banks are few and far in-between. It certainly wasn't my most productive trip, but I enjoyed it. Also, I am learning valuable info for future trips - which banks have tellers that search, which banks will sell bags off their machine, etc.

Town 1 (7 banks): #1 - $6 loose (skunk). #2 - none, but the nice teller told me to go to their main branch where they had a coin counter and that I could buy the bag off the machine. (It was my next stop anyway). The teller said she had bought a bag there once and scored about $20 face value in silver. #3 - bag containing $708.50. As the vault teller brought the bag out and sat it on the counter, I immediately spotted a Liberty Bell. As I sat the bag in my truck, I peeked in the top and saw a 40%er and a '98-S clad proof. I thought I had scored a great bag, but it was not to be. It held the 1 lone Ben, 5 40%ers, and the 1 clad proof...and 338 NIFCs (all 2002-2006). Also, the bag was $1.50 short. #4 - $13 clad Ikes (although one chrome/silver plated one nearly gave me a heart attack when rim searching) and $30 in handrolls (skunk). #5 - none. #6 - 1 clad half. #7 - 2 clad halves.

Town 2 (1 bank): $60 handrolled (1 40%)

Town 3 (1 bank): none - someone bought them all the day before

Town 4: (1 bank): none

Town 5: (3 banks): #1 - $1140 in handrolls, $8.50 loose (5 40%) All but 1 roll were someone's dumps - same name and phone number and all were re-rolled/taped in the Brinks wrappers from the boxes they came out of. All 5 40%ers came from the 1 roll that bore someone else's name. #2 - $800 handrolls (4 40%). #3 - $200 handrolls (2 40%)

Town 6: (1 bank): $600 handrolls in those same brinks wrappers with the same name/phone number. Did find my first 1987-D, but no silver as expected. Did also find another 40 NIFC all 2003.

Town 7: (1 bank): $20 handrolled, $15 loose (skunk)

Town 8: (3 banks): #1 - none. #2 - none. #3 - none

Town 9: (2 banks): #1 - none. #2 - $18 loose (skunk)

Town 10: (3 banks): #1 none. #2 - 2 clad halves. #3 - none (missed $300+ in 'big' dollars by 1 day)

Town 11: (1 bank): This is a bank I had been to a couple of months ago. The teller sold me 1 roll from the vault, but I for some reason I suspected there were more. That 1 roll a couple of months ago held 2 90% and 9 40%. This time there was a different teller. She said she had 1 roll. I asked her nicely if she minded checking the vault. She returned with 2 more rolls. The first roll (the one NOT from the vault) looked like a skunk from the rim check. I did the sound check and heard "clink". Found a blackened 40% Bicentennial proof, my first silver proof of any kind. The 2 rolls from the vault were obviously from the same batch when I was there before. Total was 5 '64 Kens and 9 40% including the proof.

Final totals: 11 towns, 250 miles driven, $3637 searched. 1 Ben ('63), 5 '64 Kens, 26 40% & 378 NIFC. I will dump the NIFC all together so hopefully someone that collects them will end up with them.

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Re: Road trip 12-14-10 NIFC mania!!! & a couple of minor "firsts"

Nice road trip and finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.
HH
Rich

jethro1469

Mar 18, 2009
East Coast

Sounds like it was a fun day. Wish you had found more keepers but that is the luck of the draw.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010

Wow, those are awesome numbers in terms of how much in halves you managed to find.

Too many people looking for halves plus automatic counting machines means handrolls are antiquated around here. I don't come across many at all.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010

HH1972 said:
What does NIFC stand for?

I tried to look it up in the begginers guide but it wasnt there.
Not intended for Circulation.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Road trips are exciting. You just never know what you'll find.
rileyboy

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH1972 said:

Not Issued For Circulation

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You had a great day!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

That's a pretty good day, and wow A LOT of NIFC :o Someone must be littering them across the state, I found 2 2003s sitting in a teller tray, which is unusual for me.

I have done road trips all over northern and central Arkansas. Haven't been to the northeast yet, so I'll try and stay out of that area.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Nice finds!!!

I wish we lived closer...I'd love to have those NIFC's. Why can't I find any of those???

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Syrys said:
That's a pretty good day, and wow A LOT of NIFC :o Someone must be littering them across the state, I found 2 2003s sitting in a teller tray, which is unusual for me.

I have done road trips all over northern and central Arkansas. Haven't been to the northeast yet, so I'll try and stay out of that area.

You must be the person that I always seem to be one step behind. ;D

I have no doubt we have hit some of the same banks.

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

ArkieBassMan said:
Syrys said:

You must be the person that I always seem to be one step behind. ;D

I have no doubt we have hit some of the same banks.

;D Ha, I don't know, I've had those kind of days too

I wonder who the other guy is. I have found those rerolled Brinks dumps before too. Once, every single coin was marked with a black dot... all skunks of course. Funny thing is, I can't find any banks that are actually supplied by Brinks.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Syrys said:
;D Ha, I don't know, I've had those kind of days too

I wonder who the other guy is. I have found those rerolled Brinks dumps before too. Once, every single coin was marked with a black dot... all skunks of course. Funny thing is, I can't find any banks that are actually supplied by Brinks.

I know who he is. His name and phone number was on every roll. ;D

Heath j

Dec 11, 2010
Cleveland, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer

Rookie question, but what is "Buying a bag" mean? :dontknow:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Heath j said:
Rookie question, but what is "Buying a bag" mean? :dontknow:
Buying the bag off the coin counter when it's full. Or, even before the bag is full. Or, buying a bag of customer-rolled coin before it's shipped out of the bank.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ltrain said:
HH1972 said:

Not intended for Circulation.

Or "Not Issued For Culling"..... :laughing7:

undergrounddrew

Jan 16, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Technetics G2 Fisher F75 Black, Minelab 3030,Minelab X-Terra 705 and more!!!

Great trip.
Thank you for detailing it for us!

I am undecided on the NIFCs, I have collected several, I am not sure they are worth keeping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread