Will dime searching get easier?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm brand new to this hobby. I've been picking up a few dime rolls at a time.

I seem to get half customer rolls and about half clear plastic wrapped rolls.

Will looking for the silver get easier as time goes on? I could have sworn there were 2 silver dimes in one of the clear rolls from today's bank visit. When I opened them, the were just clad.

Will it get easier? Will I start to develop an eye for finding silver dimes?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I have only got one clear wrapped box before and I hated it! Was really hard to tell on a few so you have to break them open to see and every time it was just a dirty clad rim, so I know exactly what you mean.

The paper rolled boxes are really nice and are all I get where I live. I have it down to an average of 19 minutes to go through a box. This is by rims only and not checking for the key 1982 no mint mark.

Dimes are, by far, the fastest coin for me to go through. The more you do, the easier it will become - - Unless you keep getting them clear wraps!

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you will develop they "eye and the ear" as you do more rolls and start finding silver and see what the silver rim looks like and sounds like if your doing bags. I concur with MU and the paper rolls are much better and may take some research to find the banks in your area and that will sell/order them for you. Dimes seem to be edging closer to the last frontier in silver culling. Keep at it and you'll be a pro before you know it. Good luck!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If only halves were wrapped in clear plastic rolls. I wonder why they're not. It's the only denomination that I've seen on only paper rolls.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked this in the other thread but again... Do you guys that search dimes save all your 1982 dimes? I read somewhere that even the 1982-P have some value over 10 cents.

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
Doing several hundred hand rolled dimes per week will guarantee you silver. I have only been skunked once of more than $500 in hand rolls. Solid silver rolls are out there as well. I have gotten solid silver four times in three years.

Good luck,

OWS

2Cents

Nov 4, 2009
California
I get only the clear wrapped rolls of dimes. It takes me about 5 minutes to go through a box. If you find a dime that looks questionable just look at the roll with a magnifying glass.

I use a stereo microscope which eliminates the possibility of pulling a dirty clad. It's super easy on the eyes.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies, and thank you for the tips!!!!!!!!

They are very appreciated!!!!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never date-searched dimes, if it's not silver, it gets tossed in the dump pile. I do pull clad proofs when I find them. I always steer clear of the see-through wrapped also.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
jerseyben said:
I asked this in the other thread but again... Do you guys that search dimes save all your 1982 dimes? I read somewhere that even the 1982-P have some value over 10 cents.

From what I remember, I think it's 1982's with no P there are rare.. I haven't seen any but then again, I haven't checked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread