Another $1,000 in halves and some news from the bank about the boxes...

craig101

May 8, 2006
picked up another $1,000 in halves on friday. this was from my credit union, of which last time i got 1 40% half from $1,000 in halves! this time was a bit better, i got 1 franklin and 7 40% halves. not bad, but not real good either.

when i first went to pick up my boxes, the credit union said the armored car company screwed up and dropped off quarters instead of halves, so they needed to make a special trip for my halves. i was chatting with the manager there and he said about 5 years ago, the FED got out of the coin business and only deals with the currency. when banks call in and order coin and currency, they still make the order thru the FED, but only the currency comes from the FED, the coins are stored at the armored car companies in their vaults. it got to be too big of a hassle for the FED to keep moving the coins, so they let the armored car companies store the coins in their vaults. this is an interesting tidbit, as it may help explain some things.

my CU uses Loomis as their armored car company and i think my local bank uses someone else. the boxes i get from my CU have kinda sucked, 1 90% and 8 40% in $2,000 in halves, while from my local bank, i got like 15 90% and 23 40% from $2,000 in halves. it appears that the Loomis "stash" has been picked over more than the company that services my local bank.

in theory it shrinks the population of halves if you use only one bank to order halves from. if someone really searched A LOT of halves, they may want to order from different banks that also use different car companies. i would stick with my local bank, but their car company charges .30 cents per roll as a re-wrap charge. i don't know if it's worth paying $15 per box of halves...i may try it once. given that the last 2 boxes from there gave me 10 90% and 13 40%.

Craig

Upvote 0

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Very interesting. I can't tell where you're from, so I wonder if its the same in all parts of the country. I have 2 regular sources for my box coins and a couple of others for every now and then buys. I will have to find out if they use the same car co.. So far no one has tried to charge fees either for buying or selling coin. I guess I would pay $15 if they could guarantee me at least 3 rolls of Bens and a couple of standing liberties and maybe a 1964 or two. :D ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take them back to completely different banks who have different armored car services. So I keep pulling from one vault and dumping them in another basically. Plus the bank I return them to has a coin counter and doesn't charge for me dropping off any coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread