I love CRHing but it is a maddening hobby!!!

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow CRhers,

This week's boxes were pretty good but just when you think you've got this hobby figured out it comes back around to bite you in the arse!!! :tongue3:

Box#1: [6] 40%ers, [1] '64 (one little kender)
Box#2: skunk - Brinks
Box#3: skunk - Brinks
Box#4: [1] 40%er found in the first roll - but no friends in this box! :icon_scratch:
Box#5: [6] 40%ers, [1] '64 (two little kenders in rolls next to each other but only 4 others in the whole box - I thought it may be a big box after finding two little kenders next to each other). :help:
Box#6: [2] '64s in the same roll just a few rolls into the box and they are the whitest/cleanest 90%ers I have ever found in a box but no other silver in the whole box but these two beauties in one roll!!! :dontknow:
Box#7: [6] 40%ers - 3 40%ers were in one roll (a record for me for one roll) just a few rolls into the box but only three others in the other 47 rolls - what the heck??? :icon_scratch:

Don't get me wrong I have been very happy with my finds lately but instances like I outlined above baffle me and make for an emotional roller-coaster as well!!! :tongue3:

My question for all of you reading is this - what is a sure tell tale sign that you've got a monster box - just a bunch of enders staring back at you? I know some people in here have had huge boxes with just a few enders and some have had great boxes with no enders!

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Upvote 0

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$ilver$urfer,

I feel your pain; it can be rather frustrating at times, and I still can't figure it out. Just tonight I was going through a box with almost all rolls containing bright 1996's, and then fourth roll from my last....BAM! got a Bender and a 40% to boot in the same roll. If I didn't get those surprises now and then I might lose interest in doing boxes.

Haven't had a monster box yet, so can't really answer your question.

~coincrawlin

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Throw out the stat book. This topic has been brought up several times and the same answer always applys. The harder to you work the more you get. There is no way to figure out what will happen except I guarantee there will be skunks. I did 13 boxes in a row from the same bank over the course of several weeks, skunk after skunk. This week i got 4 more boxes from the same bank, box 1, 2, and 3 had the exact same type coin from the previous 9 boxes. All clearn and many of the same year, then the 4th box had very dirty coins on the ends of over half the rolls. Not silver , but definately different from the previous 12 boxes so my hopes immediately shot up. Ended up finding 4 enders that were dirty and the box produced 65 silvers with 17 being 90% and 2 of the 90% being 1950s commemoratives.

Ya just never know.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yeah, there is no rhyme or reason of what you get in each box. All the coins that come in the sorting facility get counted and put into large bins of the same denomination. They take the bins and put them through a roll wrapping machine. Later they are boxed and all put into pallets for when people order them. Difficult to say where all the keepers that get mixed in will end up. If you get a dream box, chances are they are full rolls of keepers that got dumped in with others but the group stayed largely intact when mixed with others and so they got wrapped together and put in the same box. I posted a link to a Modern Marvels episode a while back which showed what it looked like in a Brinks sorting facility. Very interesting and it fullfilled my curiousity of what it looked like inside a coin sorting facility. If you're looking for it, you can look up my past posts and find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread