Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodcutter,
Welcome aboard! I second 999digger's comment -- pennies from the teens are indeed hard to come by, you did well!
Working rolls or boxes of cents is a blast, low cost and you almost always find some good keepers.
As you work them, in addition to the wheats, I recommend you pull out the "S-mints" from 1968 - 1974. Most times when I work a box of cents, I find more wheat-backs than I do "S-mints" from those years, rare is good in this CRH game.
Happy new year,
Steve

OP
OP
woodcutter45

woodcutter45

Greenie
Oct 23, 2010
P Hill, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 999 & Steve. I'll keep my eye out for the "s" mints. Having gone thru many rolls last year, I have yet to see an "s" although I did find a couple dozen wheats. My goal is to find an IH but that is probably a long shot. Anyway I will keep looking at the pennies.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's interesting how "S" mints are rare over there. I'm guess you're all east of the Mississippi. I find "S" mints from 68-74 all the time. One out of 15 coppers here are "S" mints. In terms of wheats, one out of 4 wheats are "S" mints. However, I have not gotten many teen wheats. My only teen wheat I've found is a 1917-S. The next one is a 1920. In some ways, I would like to get some real early ones. I don't even sort out the "S"mints from 68-74 from the rest of the copper because they're so common out here. I've only found one indian head in about $2000 searched and I found that one (1898) my first month of searching pennies last year but no more after that.

OP
OP
woodcutter45

woodcutter45

Greenie
Oct 23, 2010
P Hill, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being in west central Ohio probably accounts for the "s" being hard to find. I looked back thru my MD coin finds and there no "s" 's. Seems that the p's and d's are pretty well split equally. So the "s" is going to be a challenge for me. Are any other of you CRH folks in the Midwest finding many "s"'s?

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
woodcutter45 said:
Thanks 999 & Steve. I'll keep my eye out for the "s" mints. Having gone thru many rolls last year, I have yet to see an "s" although I did find a couple dozen wheats. My goal is to find an IH but that is probably a long shot. Anyway I will keep looking at the pennies.
Also keep an eye out for the JFK commemorative. The Indians are hard to find. So far I have searched over $400 worth and only one popped out. It was a 1902 and it was all dented up. Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread