Bank Teller admits to pulling all silver

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Stopped by a bank today and asked if they had any halves. Teller was very nice and said they did not but would call another branch 5 miles away. She got off the phone and said that branch had a $500 bag they just pulled off the machine and would sell it to me. I got there and talked with teller as he was handing them over and he says, "If your looking for silver there is none in there." I state my usual, that my kids and I are filling our book and the ones we need are all the older ones. I asked him straight out if he goes through them looking for silver and he replies, "Heck Yeah!! Do you know what those things are worth?" I say thanks for letting me know as there is no point in me taking them as we would not be able to fill any of our slots if you have already pulled out all the old ones. It was very discouraging, but I sure can't blame the guy - I was just surprised he came right out and admitted to it.

I know many people have major scores with getting bags off machines but in my area it appears a waste of time. I also bought another bag off a different bank today and it was a skunk. I talk to all the tellers at banks and pick up 2 boxes everyday from a different branch. Each teller tells me they order boxes for at least 4 different people every week, so I think most bags I get are going to be others dumps. I will just stick with the boxes as I feel I at least have a chance.

Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
It's funny how different things are in different parts of the country. I travel a lot and some places won't even sell you the bags. Some places the boxes are out of this world good (I lived in Northern Virginia for three years and never got a skunk box out of 20+). Some places they stink...

guess you have to get a feel for the best way to find the silver in your area....

Good luck either way!

:icon_thumright:

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010
TD coin sorter machines are sealed immediately after being pulled from the arcade. However I also notice it almost always spits out silver in the reject tray.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpicDeuce said:
TD coin sorter machines are sealed immediately after being pulled from the arcade. However I also notice it almost always spits out silver in the reject tray.

That's the way it's supposed to work. On more than one occasion I've watched as the bag coming off the machine made 'that sound' as it hit the floor and the teller set it aside unsealed. To be gone through at their convenience, I'm sure.
Other times I've watched as a lot of silver got sealed up and sent off(despite my pleas to swap out the coins or buy the bag).
One time, I saw a few silvers in the bag after it was sealed and mentioned it to the teller(who knows what I do and doesn't care to cherrypick) and he cut the bag open and let me swap out the good ones.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I you still can, buy the bag. You'd be surprised how many people, tellers included, who don't know about 40%ers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread