My Small Find and Comment on MM2

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Los Angeles, California
Saturday, 19 February, 2011

I recovered nine silver coins this week-end. Last evening’s box of halves contained two 1964 coins and three 40%ers. From the box of dimes I searched today I found a 1935 Mercury dime, and a 1954, a 1962 and a 1963 Roosevelt dime. Also in the dime box was a 2007 20 centavos coin from Honduras. At first I thought it was silver because the edge looks like an American silver dime.

My last post was about boxes of halves recently being like cans of pork and beans – each box contained only one single keeper coin like each can contained only one single piece of salt-pork. I was happy this week’s half box was better than that.

Finally, I wanted to comment on the fabulous Walker find from Mountain Man 2 several weeks ago. I liked the photos of the ancient wrappers best – one in particular was of an old-style yellow paper wrapper, frayed, worn through at the fold, and further yellowed from archaic cellophane tape, teasingly revealing the eagle reverse of a very well-worn-Walker. I love this photograph! Seeing this wrapper helps me understand and appreciate the time that has passed since these coins had been in use, and the people who used them. It serves as a reminder of all the historical events that have occurred during those years – right APUSH? Thanks for the history lesson Mountain Man 2.

Half-Hound 2011 Totals: 12 90% halves, 32 40% halves and 11 silver dimes.

Attachments

• MM2 find.JPG
    MM2 find.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 260
  • LITE Four Dimes - 1 Date  19 FEB 2011.jpg
    LITE Four Dimes - 1 Date 19 FEB 2011.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Half-Hound,
Nice post. Thanks for the photos and reminder of Mountainman's hit a while back.
All the best to you out there.
rileyboy

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good results from those boxes, especially the box of dimes. Always a thrill to pull a mercury dime out of a roll.
Thank you for the mention in your post, i'm glad you enjoyed the pictures of those old rolls. Like Rileyboy says, it's out there. Just have to be there at the right time.

OP
OP
Half-Hound

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Bullionbaron, that's a... that's quite a picture you have there. It reminds me of an old girlfriend. Dirty girl, she never bathed. Had green teeth (only 3 teeth). The only clean place on her was a patch on her neck where all the dirt got sucked off. Thanks for the memories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread