Any tips for searching dimes. I am going blind

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
Get a 3' section of clear plastic tubing and make sure the inside diameter is a minimum of 18mm or .7" and a max of 20mm or .75". Get a funnel with the same/similar size inside diameter and duct tape it to the plastic tubing. Plug the bottom of the tube then slowly pour the dimes in the funnel and make sure they all stack nice inside the tube. Then just edge search for silver...it's like 20x faster than going through rolls.

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Chow, I will give that a try. JP

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
i throw a hand full into a tupperware container, tilt it a little bit and shake it (also what i do on the dancefloor when i go out) and youll get little bunches of dimes that have aligned themselves, maybe 8 or 9 at a time, perfect to pinch out and edge check real quick. seems to work better when its not full, so a small handfull is just right. hope that helps!

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The most efficient way I have found is to immediately trade them for halves or quarters. Once you go entirely blind you can then check dimes safely with a sound test.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good way is to run them through your hands a couple of times, the sound of a silver dime is so distinct you can hear it through all the other clinks of coins hitting each other. This is by far the quickest way to sort silver, and more accurate because you miss dirty edges from rim searching

HH
-GC

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I edge search from bags. Reach in and grab a pinch of them, maybe 3"-4" tall of a stack of coins. Then rim search for silver, it will take you forever to date search dimes. You can spot the silver very easily. If there's no silver in a stack, toss the stack in your dump bucket. When your done, take them to a bank with a coin sorter, not the bank you bought them from, and dump them.
good luck, I've had some nice dime bag scores.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread