Couple of newbie questions not answered in beginners guide

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011
Hello, I am new to CRH and started today with my first box of dimes. Got just 1 1953 Rosie, but it was oh so exciting lol. Also found a 1947 rosie in a coin return today so that was cool. So my first question is: my bank does not have a machine, so can i dump there by just returning the box? Also, if I am just looking for silver, is there any reason to actually rip open the plastic and look through each coin individually or will looking at rims suffice? And finally, where do I buy bags of coins? Thanks

Upvote 0

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
I rim search dimes but take heed I found a merc that showed a dirty edge.My favorite banks take wrapped coin and simply count the rolls.I avoid the others which count the whole mess wasting my time.Dimes more easily get miscounted,recently a teller told me I had 15 pennies in a bag of dimes only.Good luck &HH.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
bsktbllsam said:
So my first question is: my bank does not have a machine, so can i dump there by just returning the box?

Welcome to the forums.

You are kidding about taking the box back to the same bank, right?

Please tell me that was some sort of a joke....

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Hi and welcome dont be afraid to ask about anything and yes you can find some nice head tellers that will swap out your boxes I have about six sun trust banks that let me swap out any boxes i want i did six boxes of dimes on friday found seven rosies and my first merc in the wild a 1944 made my day and my tellers save old coins for me gave them a list of the coins to look for they call me all the time . happy huntig Ron

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
clovis97 said:
bsktbllsam said:
So my first question is: my bank does not have a machine, so can i dump there by just returning the box?

Welcome to the forums.

You are kidding about taking the box back to the same bank, right?

Please tell me that was some sort of a joke....

The way I see it, there are two different reasons not to dump where you order...

For halves, it's that banks usually hate having halves, and they will stop ordering halves for you if you bring them back.
For other coins, it's simply that you may get your own dumps back. So it's not as reprehensible to bring dimes back as it is to bring halves back, but it's probably not a good idea for your own CRHing purposes.

Others agree?

Sorry, to answer the original question, yeah. If you don't have a bank to dump at with a fee-free coin counter, then just re-roll (or leave in the clear wrappers) them and bring them to your dump bank. That's the way lots of us do it. It is possible that a bank near you has a coin counter behind the counter though, even if there's no public access one.

If you bring in the whole box at once, or leave them in clear wrappers (making it obvious you are edge searching) I think you are going to get more attention and not have a chance of flying under the radar. But ultimately as a CRHer you won't anyway. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
B

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011
Thanks for the answers so far...So what I have gathered is people have a separate bank for dumping, I think I will have to open a new account. Damn checking fees lol oh well it's worth it. Also, I may order a box of halves, do they come in clear wrappers and do you just rim check these too or look at the face?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
bsktbllsam said:
So what I have gathered is people have a separate bank for dumping, I think I will have to open a new account.

If you dump your halves back at the bank you ordered them from, you are basically cutting yourself off getting a box of halves again, forever.

I've never dumped halves back at the same bank, and never will. About a month ago, I happened to have my $500 (in bills) in my previous halves box. That $500 worth of bills was to purchase the new box that came in that day.

Ever wanna see some tellers freak out, and get them really upset? Just carry in an empty box like I did. They thought I was bringing my previous box back to them! When I see this guy, :o :o :o :o, it reminds me of exactly what all three tellers and the secretary did when they saw that empty box I was carrying.

The absolute best advice that I can give you: If you are serious about CRHing halves, go back and read absolutely every thread there is about halves. I spent well over a week reading those old threads, even back to 2007. It didn't make me a pro, but I learned so much about the hobby, and the reasons behind why and how people CRH halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions