Bought my first boxes today Nickels and pennies

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I opened a new account with Wachovia so I could start getting some coins here and there. My bank will no sell any boxes anymore since they are rolling whatever comes in themselves to save money.

I usually just buy a few rolls here and there to go through but I have decided to step it up a but. I checked several banks today and couldnt find any halves. Stopped by a Wachovia a town over and asked about halves and they had none. I asked the teller if I could get some boxes so I went with a box of nickels and pennies.

I will check the pennies later but I did run through the nickels tonight. I found one war nickel that was really dark but I will take it. Got one Canadian nickel and a Mexican coin a hair smaller than a nickel. I also got 29 older nickels that I set out 2 were 1939's. I hope the pennies have something. May try to get some dimes tomorrow and see if they will order me some halves.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My supplier of boxed coin is Brinks... an average of each box would be:

Pennies: 10-15 wheats(usually one pre 1940), though I have had a box 2 months ago that contained 32 wheats. and one that only had 8. Found a 1908 Indian head penny this year(my first)... they are out there, never got skunked on pennies! :)

Nickels: I average 1 buffalo nickel(usually no date) or 1 war nickel per box. Recantly I have had a 2 box " skunk" streak which only consisted of pre 1960 nickels (no buffalo/war nickels)... Found a liverty "V" nickel back in december of 2010, was a 1904. ;D

Hope this helps you out, and keep on searchin'!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions