6,615,455 silver Roosevelt dimes

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how many silver Roosevelt dimes (1946 - 1964) would still be left in circulation if 99.9% of them have already been found and/or melted.

Six million, six hundred and fifteen thousand, four hundred and fifty five.

So when someone tells me "why are you searching for silver dimes when 99.9% of them have been found/melted already," I will say "great, then there are still 6.6 million left for me to find."

Get after those dimes my friends.

HH

Nick

Upvote 0

frankiefry

May 16, 2010
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV, Ace 250, Tesoro Silver uMax
Good point! I did my share today and took another 2 out of circulation. : )

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Well I got 2 out of a TD Penny Arcade yesterday so there goes 2 more!

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So..there were...

made in those years? :icon_scratch:

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only dime I scored this week was a 1947 Canadian dime......Matt

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Thanks for the inspiration I reduced that number today by 2 a 1960 in $50 of cwrs and a 1961 in a Coinstar reject tray

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CardsnCoins, I really appreciate the perspective on this topic. I'm not so much a coin roll hunter but a metal detector guy.
When I get in a park littered with clad I always wonder how many coins are lost due to pocket spills and other mishaps.
And then when I think about all of the silver coins getting pulled out of places on a daily basis as reported here, I start to wonder if it is all about to end.
And then I see the numbers you posted and I look at the number of coins minted and I realize we will all be able to enjoy both coin roll hunting and metal detecting for years to come.

I must admit that you coin roll hunters will likely score the lion's share, but it is also nice to know that there must be a ton of lost coins waiting to be found by the guys and gals swinging the machines.

Thanks for bringing some perspective and hard numbers to the unknown equation.

HH,
ML

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Nick, that really puts things into perspective...there is a ton of silver out there!!! :hello2:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good way to look at it man, and I bet not even 99% of them have been found. So there's probably way more than that floatin around out there. Dimes are a just as good of a way to find silver as halves. Most people don't think so, but I know it.

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
good way to look at it man, and I bet not even 99% of them have been found. So there's probably way more than that floatin around out there. Dimes are a just as good of a way to find silver as halves. Most people don't think so, but I know it.

I couldn't agree more!!

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
I did my share this week i took 20 of them out of circulation 5 just on saturday been on a run and having fun happy hunting Ron

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your numbers are quite low.

Back in late 2006, I used my own search/find statistics to estimate how many were left in circulation. Using my 2007 numbers those calculations indicated there were around 38+ million silver roosevelt dimes left in circulation.

I had saved my spreadsheets from my calculations at the time and entered my 2010 and 2011 numbers in to see if see much of a difference. My 2010 numbers are over a much larger sample size, but those indicate that there are still around 40+ million silver roosevelts in circulation. My 2011 numbers indicate only 34+ million. In other words, likely a change, but not a huge change...

Those same calculations also indicate there are somewhere between 2 and 5 million mercury dimes left. (depending on which years numbers are most accurate).

I didn't try to calculate the numbers for earlier dimes or other coins at this time.

Here is a link to my post in 2006...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,61685.msg443277.html#msg443277 The find rate multipliers mentioned in that post will not be perfectly accurate today as as more coins have been minted and need to be taken into account, but the numbers are still a good approximation.

In early 2008, I posted a partial update in response to another post...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,138196.msg981330.html#msg981330

OP
OP
CardsNCoins

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMan00001 said:
I think your numbers are quite low.........

I posed no concrete numbers, nor was I trying to. I said if 99.9% were gone. No one, yes no one, knows for sure how many dimes are gone/left. Could be 62.3%, could be 71.87%, could be.........you get the picture.

I'm just giving hope to those that have been told that 99.9% are gone already.

HH

Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread