definition of a skunk?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I got my first whole box of halves today. 3/4 of the way through it with no silver, but did find a 1990 proof and a 2003 NIFC. This got me wondering what people consider to be a skunk box. No silver? Nothing of value/collectible at all? I figure a proof is better than nothing, so personally I wouldn't have called the box a skunk.

Fortunately, I did end up finding a 1965 40%'er, so I feel somewhat better.

What do you all consider to be skunk boxes?

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
To me, a skunk box is a box that contains no silver....which is most of my boxes.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
clovis97 said:
To me, a skunk box is a box that contains no silver....
+1

I find way too many proofs to make them count for anything. I already started throwing them back instead of keeping them.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If all you hunt for is silver, than a box with no silver is a skunk. However, there is way more to look for than silver. With the meteoric rise in silver, you have more hunters that aren't coin collectors but rather silver speculators. A coin collector knows that some errors (high grades, of course) are worth way more than silver content of others. Impaired proofs have no numismatic value for modern issues.

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
dpy52081 said:
Skunk = No Silver

Finding a proof makes it sting less, but finding a proof in a skunk box is like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound

LMAO!!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread