1965 Dime On Penny Planchet? PICS

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Found this in a roll. I rim check so the only reason I looked at this was because it looked like a penny rim and I have found a few in dime rolls before - even from fed wrapped string rolls. It is dated 1965. I have heard of 65 dimes being struck on silver planchets but never a penny. This has a very different sound than a clad dime - It has a similar sound to the "ting" of a silver dime, but even a higher pitch, lighter sound. Could not get a good pic of edge, but it is reeded like a dime and all copper in color.

Attachments

• dime 1.jpg
    dime 1.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 2,476
  • dime2.jpg
    dime2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,514
Upvote 0

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
A dime cannot be struck on a cent planchet. A cent planchet is too large to fit within the dime collar. Based on your photographs, I would say that you have a dime which did not have a lot of of outer copper-nickel clad, and that a lot of it wore off in circulation, exposing the copper core.

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I agree with you in that the size is not right, so it could not be struck on a penny planchet. What is stumping me is the sound. A worn dime should still like a clad dime and not have a completely different sound, right?

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
I would have to agree as well. Despite the cladding being worn off of the rim and high points of the features, the fields are still bearing cladding. I've seen two dimes like that in the past month, a 1965 and a 1967. The 1967 had hardly any cladding left on it, and was worn down a lot more. Loss of cladding will add clarity of tone, and the thinning of a coin due to wear will raise the resonant frequency that it "rings" at.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions