1st week of roll hunting!-1st post here :)

baybeoado

May 13, 2011
Rockport, Texas
Detector(s) used
Need to get one...any advice???
I found this website googling "arrowheads in Rockport, Tx" found a member who searches for artifacts here in town! In trying to PM him I went all over the site and ended up at the CRH forum...
My husband and I both collect old coins; most are a yearly Cristmas gift from an Uncle and few have been found over the years in pocket change. Well after reading about all the excitment in searching roll for silver and being an at home Mom to twins I decided to hit the town in search of "halves" No luck, No luck and more No luck...Then I thought Heck, I enjoy old, rare coins more than just looking for silver and now I am hooked! (As is my husband!!)
Since starting this past Saturday we have bought est: $800 halves, $300 quarters, $600 dimes, $300 nickels and $75 pennies. How do you say it...SKUNK, SKUNK and more SKUNK...but this is a FREE hobby, I have LOTS of time so today, back to the banks I went. Nothing too exciting still; HOWEVER today I found a Buffalo Nickel; date worn off. But how exciting it was to find that! We are now officially hooked!
Finding silver would be cool but the old coins are what I am after! Any pointers??

ps. After finishing our coins and finding nothing last night we emptied our personal coin change jar and found 2 1964 dimes. Kinda funny we found silver in our coin jar and not in bank rolls!

Upvote 0

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
That is pretty funny, I bet you were pretty excited thought, I would be!

The guys here say the key is volume. If you can't float a lot of cash into coins, dump them and get new coins as fast as you can. Many have said, "volume volume volume"

Also, be nice to your tellers.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome! congrats on your finds, hopefully many more to come!! Buffalo nickels are fairly common considering I either get a silver wartime nickel(1942-1945, mintmark above the dome in the back of the coin) or a buffalo nickel per box, usually worn off date. I think I have gotten 11 or 12 buffalo nickels in my time searching nickel boxes every so often, 3 of them have dates. Well, $75 in pennies, you should get around 30-50 wheat pennies, do you search for those? 1958 and prior, they have a different back as well. Hope this helps, happy hunting!!

BuffaloBoy

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
My advice is to forget the quarters, nickels, and pennies. go all into dimes, almost EVERY bank has a box that they can sell, pick up one or two, i average 2 per box, and they are silver aswell! easy and worth the while to find. and of coarse ALWAYS ask for halves...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
baybeoado said:
Since starting this past Saturday we have bought est: $800 halves, $300 quarters, $600 dimes, $300 nickels and $75 pennies. How do you say it...SKUNK, SKUNK and more SKUNK...

Finding silver would be cool but the old coins are what I am after! Any pointers??

$75 in pennies and skunked? I assume you're looking for wheats and earlier? None for three boxes is somewhat unusual, so hang in there!

HH

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baybeoado said:
I found this website googling "arrowheads in Rockport, Tx" found a member who searches for artifacts here in town! In trying to PM him I went all over the site and ended up at the CRH forum...
My husband and I both collect old coins; most are a yearly Cristmas gift from an Uncle and few have been found over the years in pocket change. Well after reading about all the excitment in searching roll for silver and being an at home Mom to twins I decided to hit the town in search of "halves" No luck, No luck and more No luck...Then I thought Heck, I enjoy old, rare coins more than just looking for silver and now I am hooked! (As is my husband!!)
Since starting this past Saturday we have bought est: $800 halves, $300 quarters, $600 dimes, $300 nickels and $75 pennies. How do you say it...SKUNK, SKUNK and more SKUNK...but this is a FREE hobby, I have LOTS of time so today, back to the banks I went. Nothing too exciting still; HOWEVER today I found a Buffalo Nickel; date worn off. But how exciting it was to find that! We are now officially hooked!

ps. After finishing our coins and finding nothing last night we emptied our personal coin change jar and found 2 1964 dimes. Kinda funny we found silver in our coin jar and not in bank rolls!

If you want the old stuff, buy a metal detector. IMO you have a much better chance of digging a Barber or older from the ground than you do CRHing. I love CRHing for the shiny stuff, but there is just nothing like seeing silver come out of the ground. CRHing will get you more silver, but detecting will get you better silver.

BuffaloBoy said:
welcome! congrats on your finds, hopefully many more to come!! Buffalo nickels are fairly common considering I either get a silver wartime nickel(1942-1945, mintmark above the dome in the back of the coin) or a buffalo nickel per box, usually worn off date. I think I have gotten 11 or 12 buffalo nickels in my time searching nickel boxes every so often, 3 of them have dates. Well, $75 in pennies, you should get around 30-50 wheat pennies, do you search for those? 1958 and prior, they have a different back as well. Hope this helps, happy hunting!!

BuffaloBoy
brendan1414 said:
My advice is to forget the quarters, nickels, and pennies. go all into dimes, almost EVERY bank has a box that they can sell, pick up one or two, i average 2 per box, and they are silver aswell! easy and worth the while to find. and of coarse ALWAYS ask for halves...

Not all of us do as well as this. My penny boxes only average about 3 wheats and 11% copper. I have never found a buffalo nickel (or a V) in a box, and I only find about 1 war nickel for every 3-4 boxes. I find one silver dime for every 4 boxes searched.

I'm not trying to be a "downer" here...I just didn't want you to be discouraged if your finds didn't match what these guys were finding. The amount of finds can WIDELY vary from region to region...even bank to bank. Hang in there and best of luck! :icon_thumleft:

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome baybeoado, Wish you luck, you never know what or when you might hit :thumbsup:

HH...Miner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread