Road Trip

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
For Memorial Day weekend I took off to my home city about 200 miles away. I stopped at a bunch of rural independent banks to check for halves. Got $250 in a mix of bank and machine rolled halves. Found a single 40% 68.

When I always go home I stop by my grandparents right away on Friday to visit with them. My grandfather is the kind of guy that retired years ago, he's 72, but still works at the little general store in their rural town just to keep busy. He does the handy work, empties the trash cans out by the gas pumps, plows the snow, and stocks the shelves. One day when the cashier she cracked open a new roll of pennies she noticed they were all old wheat pennies. She didn't want them, so grandpa bought them....the next roll she cracked open were also wheats....this happened 4 times, for 200 old wheat pennies. I told grandpa about my silver hunting, so when I showed up he was excited to find his coin finds with me.

And wow, was I impressed when he showed me. I grabbed my jewelers loupe and started looking at dates and mint marks. Most were in the about 60% were in the 1920s, 30% were in the teens, and the rest were either 1909 or in the 30s or 40s. I also found a 1963 in near mint state...might grade out around MS60. The 1909s were not VBD....or S....but I did find about 10 S mint marks...

A great bunch of wheaties. Grandpa then cracked out the rest of his coin collection. I thought for sure he cashed in it years ago due to their financial problems. He showed me a 1903 Barber Dime that was in GREAT condition...a bunch of old wheaties and nickles...silver dollars…quarters…bunches of cool stuff....and everything else. He was excited to share this with his only grandchild, and most importantly I told him that if he ever wants to cash these in (they live month to month on SSI except for the months I send them a few hundred dollars when I have a good month), I will pay collectors price so that he can use the money (I have enough modern fiat money) and we can keep the coins he's found so that someday I can pass them down to my kids saying “One time your great-grandpa found 200 of these pennies at the store he worked at….and when he bought his first house, he found this 1903 Dime in the driveway…this coin is older than even he was”

Even though I found a 40% Silver Half Dollar today (To finish my first CRH silver roll…which will be 40% Half Dollars, Horray!), I would be just as happy if I was doing this hobby and found nothing, only to have this day with my grandfather.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread